And we're back!

Main Menu

Pax Languisha (Pax Porfiriana MP)

Started by Habbaku, April 08, 2013, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Pax_Porfiriana

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82728/rules-english-sierra-madre-games

QuotePax Porfiriana – Latin for "The Porfirian Peace" – refers to the 33-year reign of dictator Porfirio Díaz, who ruled Mexico with an iron hand until toppled by the 1910 Revolution.

As a rich businessman (Hacendado) in the turbulent pre-revolutionary borderlands of the U.S. and Mexico, players compete to build business empires of ranches, mines, rails, troops, and banks while subverting opponents with bandidos, Indians, and lawsuits.

Four "scoring" cards (Toppling) are in the game and their effect depends on the current form of government. The government can change if troops are played and as a result of other cards. The form of government also influences different production values of the game, such as how much mines produce. Players win by toppling Díaz, either by coup, succession, revolution, or annexation of Mexico by the U.S. If Díaz remains firmly seated at the end of the game, then the player with the most gold wins.

So, simple enough.  The Vassal module, game rules and general description are all linked above.  The game supports anywhere from 2-6 players.  Ideally, we'd have 5-6, though 4 is fine (I've played plenty that had that number).  The game is perfect for play-by-e-mail as there are no "interrupts" or reaction cards aside from some that can be played during the 4 potential topple phases, and even there it is going to be very, very obvious who is going to react.

Turnaround time would be expected to mail your turn within 24 hours, hopefully faster, but not required.  Anyone game?

Edit : D'oh.  Vassal module only supports 4, for some reason.  So...4 is what we're after.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

frunk

I'm interested even though I don't usually do PBEM or PBF.  I'm going to be AWOL until the 22nd though.

Solmyr

I can join if you need more, though I need to read the rules first and am a complete newbie.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

That makes four that can start immediately. Frunk, you're welcome to join in the next game if you want.

I'll send out the start file later tonight unless someone else gets to it first.  Sol, please PM me your preferred email when you get the chance.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Per the rolls, the order of play is : Habbaku, Solmyr, Tamas, Berkut .  Keep to that...it'll be important.

The personalities involved are :

Habbaku (Red) : Bernardo Reyes, Porfirian general (buys troops for half cost).
Solmyr (Yellow) : Venustiano Carranza, politician and wealthy senator (buys black cards for free).
Tamas (Green) : Don Luis Terrazas, cattle baron (Buy Land actions in Chihuahua expend only one action).
Berkut (Blue) : Francisco Madero, intellectual and wealthy land-owner (buys partners for half cost).

When you start the vassal file for the first time, please join as your colors listed above.

The market's been built and everything's ready in the file for play to proceed to the next person (Sol) when he groks the rules sufficiently.  Feel free to ask any questions, though, Sol.  The rulebook is a bit unorthodox, to be sure, but the actual gameplay is very straightforward.

General Reyes' first actions are :

1 : Buy San German Tannery from Market (zero cost).
2-3 : Buy Krupp Railway Gun for 1.  Note that this costs 2 actions since it was the 2nd Market card I purchased in the same turn.

Off to Sol to play.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Sol, Berk, my very limited F2F experience with the game tells me that:
-regardless of what cards will come to the Market, trying to build a "portfolio" bringing steady income is important. The more stable your hinterland is, the less exposed you are to blind luck
-important to remember, if your steady income cannot come from businesses, you can try going for troops and "protect" other players' businesses

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2013, 08:03:54 PM
Per the rolls, the order of play is : Habbaku, Solmyr, Tamas, Berkut .  Keep to that...it'll be important.

The personalities involved are :

Habbaku (Red) : Bernardo Reyes, Porfirian general (buys troops for half cost).
Solmyr (Yellow) : Venustiano Carranza, politician and wealthy senator (buys black cards for free).
Tamas (Green) : Don Luis Terrazas, cattle baron (Buy Land actions in Chihuahua expend only one action).
Berkut (Blue) : Francisco Madero, :wub: intellectual and wealthy land-owner (buys partners for half cost).
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

BTW black cards suck ass, so don't let Sol have ALL of them :P

Solmyr

Will be reading the rules later today, will make my (probably totally clueless) play by tomorrow.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on April 10, 2013, 03:12:14 AM
Will be reading the rules later today, will make my (probably totally clueless) play by tomorrow.

As Habs said, its pretty easy and straightforward. Just remember: the Glossary is part of the rules :P It discusses important concepts only to be found there.

Solmyr

Okay, I understand more or less what the cards mean and do, no idea about the right strategy yet. :P

Venustiano Carranza purchases Miners and Merchants Bank and First Instance Court for a total of 2 gold.

Log sent, Tamas is next.

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on April 10, 2013, 09:31:28 AM
Okay, I understand more or less what the cards mean and do, no idea about the right strategy yet. :P

Tamas is pretty much spot on in his earlier post.  If you can, establish an economic engine to get you money to do bad things later on.  If you can't get money early on, focus on making sure no one else does (via depressions, black/orange cards, troop extortion, anarchy regime...).

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

took the "Chiuhahaua shows the finger and goes red" card, as well as a ranch in Chiauhuaua. Berkut is up.