The Hunt for Planets Orbiting Alpha Centurai

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2009, 04:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Here's hoping  :cool:

http://seedmagazine.com/content/print/the_long_shot/

A clip from a long article
Quote"I was sitting at my kitchen table when I began thinking about the possibility of detecting any habitable planets around Alpha Centauri, doing some back-of-the-envelope calculations. B in particular looked promising, because it has lower mass and it's a very calm, quiet star," Laughlin said. "I couldn't shoot it down—finding planets [in Alpha Centauri] with a low-budget project seemed alarmingly feasible."

Alpha Centauri's brightness and visibility in southern skies for 10 months each year means an observation program can proceed relatively quickly with few disruptions. Further, the two stars offer a natural calibration: An identical signal in both of them would likely indicate a flaw in the observational equipment.

Discoveries of massive, close-in planets with the RV technique come quickly—just a handful of strong periodic signals are needed. So most RV surveys, hoping to rapidly harvest the low-hanging planetary fruit, have spread themselves thinly over a large number of stars. Laughlin realized that by focusing observations on a single promising star, the signatures of smaller planets should gradually emerge. "Your signal, the mass of a planet in a given orbit, scales with the square root of the number of observations," he said. "With four times as many observations, in theory you can detect planets that are half as massive. If you're willing to average over not hundreds, but hundreds of thousands of measurements, you can probably detect planets with masses equal to or less than that of Mars"—that is, a tenth the mass of Earth.

The more Laughlin thought about it, the more foreordained Alpha Centauri appeared for such an extreme search strategy. It began to seem somehow destined. On human timescales, the stars appear fixed in the sky, but as our Sun moves through its 250-million-year orbit around the galactic center, it brings us to new neighbors. Every few hundred thousand years, the list of our nearest neighboring stars must be made anew.

"If we were plopped down at some random point in the galaxy, there's only a 1 percent chance we'd find ourselves near stars so optimal for detecting small rocky planets like our own," Laughlin said. "The hand of fate has dealt us a very interesting situation that has not existed for at least 99.9 percent of Earth's history. It's remarkable that Alpha Centauri is right next door just as humans emerge and develop the ability to make these measurements. I'm enamored with that coincidence."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 22, 2009, 05:08:27 PM
Did he find anything?
I thought that the planet-finder was still getting tuned up.  And even then, they have to analyze the data.

Still, finding a planet would disprove the existance of gods, so I'm all for it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I wonder what sorta rifle you need to hunt a planet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Still, finding a planet would disprove the existance of gods, so I'm all for it.

Im not sure thats exactly true.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Fireblade

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 05:14:42 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 22, 2009, 05:08:27 PM
Did he find anything?
I thought that the planet-finder was still getting tuned up.  And even then, they have to analyze the data.

Um, dude..

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Would it be possible with binary stars?
I've heard that (its believed that) messes up planet formation to begin with and makes for what planets there are being very dry- the 2 suns acting as a super friendly Jupiter for each other.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2009, 07:53:26 PM
I've heard that (its believed that) messes up planet formation to begin with and makes for what planets the are being very dry- the 2 suns acting as a super friendly Jupiter for each other.
Read the whole article, there's extensive debate on the subject.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2009, 07:53:26 PM
I've heard that (its believed that) messes up planet formation to begin with and makes for what planets the are being very dry- the 2 suns acting as a super friendly Jupiter for each other.
They have found a planet orbiting a binary.  It's a lot more complex with binaries (nevermind a trinary like Alpha Centauri), but it's certainly possible.

Habitability is another matter.

Darth Wagtaros

We have to send robots. They will be our successor species.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

The Event Horizon tried to get to Alpha Centauri, and we saw how that worked out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2009, 04:00:10 PM
Here's hoping  :cool:

Yeah, here's hoping that sometime in the future, you'd figure out how to fucking spelling correctly in your titles.  Tard.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2009, 10:23:53 AM
The Event Horizon tried to get to Alpha Centauri, and we saw how that worked out.
We just have to make sure that any interdimensional portals we make don't lead to hell.
PDH!