Main Menu

What social class are you - BBC test

Started by Martinus, April 05, 2013, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

This is very British but interesting to take:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Apparently, I'm "elite".  :huh:

Guess the crisis meant you Brits really fell on hard times. I would probably count myself as Elite by Polish standards, but definitely did not reach the top financial bracket in the test.

Liep

The group I'm in is descriped by things I didn't choose, such as going to the gym, going to gigs and enjoying facebook. Nor do I work in research or science. :huh:

Technical middle class. I would've guessed just middle class.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I'm going to suggest that quiz isn't worth much. It told me I was elite too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I'm American so I have no class. (Saved Brain the trouble of making that joke).

But the quiz described me as "emergent service worker".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Ok, I retook the test, this time valuing my property at net worth (i.e. minus mortgage), rather than gross worth, but it still put me in the Elite bracket. If I were to characterise myself, I think established middle class would be more how I feel - I am not independently wealthy for example.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 07:45:50 AM

So you're 34 and I'm 57. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 07:44:32 AM
I'm going to suggest that quiz isn't worth much. It told me I was elite too.

Well, this could be one of the differences between British and US understanding of social class, in that it is more independent of personal wealth in Britain.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 07:48:12 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 07:45:50 AM

It could be that, as gays, we score higher than average people of our class in the second and third cathegory. For example, did you say you personally know any artists? That seemed to add a lot to my score.

Eddie Teach

Having the wealth and assets of a 57 year old is nothing to be upset about.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 07:52:09 AM

Having the wealth and assets of a 57 year old is nothing to be upset about.

The thing is, it's not (just) wealth and assets. Wealth and assets is only one-third of the equation. This also means garbon and I have friends and hobbies like a 57 y.o. :P

Neil

Man, you Euros really are obsessed with social class, aren't you?  I mean, I can understand it with Martinus.  He, like the Tyrells, is obsessed with being recognized by others as non-worthless (and I'll never grant him that), but the rest of you?  What's your excuse?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grinning_Colossus

"Emergent service worker" - i.e. crushed Millennial
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Legbiter

Established middle class. Sounds about right.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2013, 07:55:24 AM
The thing is, it's not (just) wealth and assets. Wealth and assets is only one-third of the equation. This also means garbon and I have friends and hobbies like a 57 y.o. :P

Look at the graphs again. The difference between "elite", "established middle class", and "emergent service worker" is mainly money.