News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Far Cry 3 gets 80s action movie expansion?

Started by Syt, April 05, 2013, 04:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/05/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-is-totally-bonkers-an-actual-thing/

QuoteOn April 1st, a peculiar thing happened: a game company debuted a seemingly implausible spin-off that wasn't a gigantic, painfully obvious hoax. Now, notice I said "hoax," not "joke." Reason being, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon still seems incredibly, absurdly silly. The advantage it has over its smoke-and-mirrors peers, however, is that it's actually, you know, real. What began with a schlocky (though impressively elaborate) '80s-style B-movie adver-site now has a series of neon-soaked screenshots, and – in a fun twist – they look almost nothing like Far Cry 3. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, well, I guess by that metric Far Cry's dev team has some pretty darn sterling mental health. All other indicators, however, would seem to suggest otherwise. In a very, very good way.

The "official" website (which is quite the entertaining entity in and of itself) describes Blood Dragon as follows:

Quote"The year is 2007. It is the future. Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war and new paths for peace must be found. A U.S. cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. A Mark IV Cyber Commando, Sergeant Rex Power Colt has been sent over to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on."

Sergeant. Rex. Power. Colt. That's so dumb it's actually the most brilliant thing I've heard all day.

For now, however, Ubisoft's being extremely cagey about how this will all unfold in the context of , you know, a game. Obviously, guns, shooting, and an island are still locks, but what about openness, punchable sharks, and horrifying war birds? These are the great questions of our time.

Regardless, this looks to be an, er, interesting swerve off the beaten path and off a cliff that's also a computer that downloaded all of space. Hopefully it'll be more than just a goofy gimmick, but even if not, I suppose it can't be any more egregiously ridiculous than Far Cry 3′s actual plot.

http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/index.php
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

The purported soundtrack for the game sounds incredible. I never played Far Cry 3 but I'll buy this on day one if it looks any good. I'm hoping it's like an FPS version of Contra.  :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/powerglove (The first three tracks only)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

According to some sources it'll be released as a standalone on May 1st. Also: Michael Biehn.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Some leaked gameplay video showing the tutorial on YouTube. Looks fun.  :)

Caliga

Are there going to be a lot of one liners in it flippantly mocking death? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2013, 12:14:00 PM
Are there going to be a lot of one liners in it flippantly mocking death? :)

In the leaked video I've heard one-liners and you can flip off enemies after you kill them. I get a distinct Duke Nukem vibe from the videos as well. :cool:

Caliga

"What happened to Sully?"
"I... LET HIM GO."

:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Syt

Ninjas! Cyborgs! Babes! Dinosaurs shooting friggin' lasers from their eyes!
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Yeah, it's likely that I'll be getting this.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Syt

Live action trailer (not gameplay related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dnuJyJBM_J4

Ninjas, cyborgs, miniguns and nucular 'splosions!
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Just watched IGN doing the first 15 minutes (well, 17; Mitch Dyer couldn't make himself stop :lol: ).

I love how Rex Power Colt complains all the way through the tutorial about how he hates tutorials. :lol:
Experience bij!

Mr. Grey

Sergeant. Rex. Power. Colt.      <--- automatically makes this a day 1 buy for me.  :lmfao:

I watched the live action trailer and would actually pay to see a full feature film based on this
Autokrator lives