Oh, Good: Face-Sized Spiders Discovered in Sri Lanka

Started by Syt, April 04, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/04/oh-good-face-sized-tarantulas-discovered-in-sri-lanka/

QuoteOh, Good: Face-Sized Spiders Discovered in Sri Lanka

Some thing may forever haunt our dreams. Like the words "spider" and "face-sized" used in a sentence together.

And yet here those words are, straight from northern Sri Lanka, where scientists say they've discovered a new type of giant tarantula with a leg span of up to eight inches. Grab your rulers and mirrors, because yep, that's about the average length of a human noggin.

As if that weren't frightening enough (or cool enough — you pick), this particular spider was found living in trees. Anyone who's ever walked beneath a tree and wound up brushing away a tiny spider knows that some arachnids enjoy an arboreal life, dangling from silken threads to surprise unsuspecting trail-walkers. Now imagine one the size of a volleyball landing on you like one of the facehuggers from Alien.

And in case you were thinking they probably look far worse than they are, this one's actually quite venomous. Oh, and fast — because of course it is. So now imagine being chased by a poisonous, sprinting, face-sized spider.

But okay, let's focus on saying nicer things about this poor not-so-little spider for a moment. According to Wired:

Covered in beautiful, ornate markings, the spiders belong to the genus Poecilotheria, known as "Pokies" for short. These are the tiger spiders, an arboreal group indigenous to India and Sri Lanka that are known for being colourful, fast, and venomous. As a group, the spiders are related to a class of South American tarantula that includes the Goliath bird-eater, the world's largest.

Yes, we know of at least two spiders bigger, not that that's any consolation: The "goliath bird-eater" mentioned above (its name probably speaks for itself), and the appropriately cave-dwelling "giant huntsman," the world's largest spider, with an average leg span of — avert your eyes, arachnophobes! — a full 12 inches.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Oh goody, a creepy-crawly thread not started by me.  :D

The worst are those giant, bat-eating centepedes.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2013, 03:51:38 PM
To tie things together nicely: web facials!

What Peter Parker and his GF do in the privacy of their bedroom is no business of yours.

Unless you write fan fiction!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I saw title before poster and did think it was Malt. Also good thing I've never wanted to go there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

In related news apparently the upcoming cicada cycle is going to be a big one: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/03/cicadas-to-invade-tri-state-area-for-month-long-stay/

Estimates of Cicada's in the tri-state area at one billion per square mile.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: PRC on April 04, 2013, 04:29:55 PM
In related news apparently the upcoming cicada cycle is going to be a big one: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/03/cicadas-to-invade-tri-state-area-for-month-long-stay/

Estimates of Cicada's in the tri-state area at one billion per square mile.
:x

We had a major cicada hatch here like 2 or 3 years ago (the black ones... the annual ones we get here are green) and there were so fucking many of them that my windshield would be covered with bug splatter and I'd actually have to run the damn wipers while driving. :yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

OK, that's all I needed;  I'm outta this thread for good.  Fucking spiders.  Fuck that shit.

Malthus