News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

India Rapist Burned Alive by Victim

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2013, 11:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Oh, the dreaded pigeonhole! :lol:  Presumably then, you are of the opinion that a revenge killing can be acceptable.  Or are do you just wish to avoid making a concrete statement?  This is absurd Fahdiz.  This thing about whether or not I meant that Fahdiz could change the legal system is equally absurd.  My point was that taking the law into your (not necessarily Fahdiz's) own hands and killing people because of perceived imperfections in the legal system only serves to exacerbate problems within said legal system.  I thought that was fairly clear.  This may shock you (Fahdiz), but every time I say the word "you" (not necessarily Fahdiz), I'm not actually talking about you (Fahdiz).  For instance if I say, "You (not necessarily Fahdiz) can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, I'm not actually commenting on your (Fahdiz) culinary skills.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 07:46:56 PM
This is absurd Fahdiz.

On this, at least, you are absolutely correct.

I am again (alas, for I seem incapable of learning this lesson) reminded of why conversing with you is frustrating, one-sided, and not at all edifying.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I'm sorry that I can't see what a unique and special snowflake you are. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: Maximus on April 04, 2013, 02:18:05 PM
There's a time and place for vigilantism to step in when the state has failed to protect its citizens. I prefer the "finding a better state" approach, but that's not always an option.

Agree.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 09:46:00 PM
I'm sorry that I can't see what a unique and special snowflake you are. :(

You'll continue to fail to see that in everyone so long as your moral reasoning process stays where it is.

Razgovory

Or maybe people aren't just as unique as would like to think.  A moral process that is so sharp that I'm incapable of deciding if killing a person in revenge is acceptable or not does not seem appealing to me.

fhdz

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 05:52:29 PM
So extralegal murder is acceptable in a society that doesn't have equal rights? :huh:
Yes, I believe we had this conversion already in the John Brown thread.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
It's hard to prove rape because she killed him and burned down the house and I don't think providing a motive is required for a conviction.

What the hell are you even talking about? Of course motive is required for conviction - motive is often central to determining whether a crime occured or not, and even if not, it is relevant for determining what kind of crime occurred.

Martinus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 10:49:56 PM
*shrug*

You made a mistake of trying to make a reasoned argument with Raz, rather than calling him an idiot a priori. It just doesn't work.

Iormlund

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:27:23 PM
No, the monopoly of violence by the state is a cornerstone of western society.

We're not talking about a western society here.

I see nothing immoral in killing a rapist if that's the only defense open to you.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2013, 04:53:31 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 10:49:56 PM
*shrug*

You made a mistake of trying to make a reasoned argument with Raz, rather than calling him an idiot a priori. It just doesn't work.

In what sense does calling Raz an idiot "work"? Makes you feel better? I mean, it sure doesn't seem to faze him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 07:16:05 AM
In what sense does calling Raz an idiot "work"? Makes you feel better? I mean, it sure doesn't seem to faze him.

Exactly.  That's why it is best just to not respond to him at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on April 05, 2013, 07:10:17 AM
I see nothing immoral in killing a rapist if that's the only defense open to you.

Indeed.  That's what makes the case so complex.  While some don't comprehend the role of motive in determining guilt (or even relative guilt), I think that most people can see that, if this was a "revenge murder" as some absolutely insist it was, then it is immoral and should be severely punished.  If the motive was a reasonable fear that a person who had just proven themselves ready, willing, and able to rape would rape her again, because the police wouldn't stop him, then the killing was not immoral and she should get acquitted.  On the charge of torture, it again depends on her motive:  if her motive in choosing to burn him to death was to make him feel pain before he died, then she is guilty of torture (even if not of murder).  If she chose that method because of a reasonable fear that the other methods available to her were too dangerous, then she is not guilty of torture (even if guilty of murder).

I don't think we have enough facts to make even a reasonable guess as to her motive in either case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Rasputin

im still ok with her act even were it both motivated to be toruture and a revenge killing

some people just need killing

if we believe her version of events, (which i accept for the sake of argument) this dude needed killing

perhaps not a great legal argument but it remains the cornerstone of all jury nullifications
Who is John Galt?