News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Oldest Pottery

Started by Malthus, April 04, 2013, 08:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

For you anthropology types out there, this may be interesting: pottery use predates agriculture. World's first pottery shows up in the middle of the last ice age.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21985-oldest-pottery-hints-at-cookings-iceage-origins.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Those must have been some seriously Hairy Potters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2013, 08:42:50 AM

:lol:

Seriously though - these were modern humans (i.e., no more hairy than the rest of us).  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 08:38:14 AM
pottery use predates agriculture.

That's not surprising.  Agriculture takes a large number of causal connections.  You watch a piece of mud dry in the sun and you've got pottery.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 08:44:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2013, 08:42:50 AM

:lol:

Seriously though - these were modern humans (i.e., no more hairy than the rest of us).  ;)

Not quite true....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/shortcuts/2013/jan/15/are-pubic-lice-in-danger-of-extinction

but you main point that people since 200,000 years ago have been modern humans, though at times up to 11 different homonids existed during the existence of modern humans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 08:53:43 AM

That's not surprising.  Agriculture takes a large number of causal connections.  You watch a piece of mud dry in the sun and you've got pottery.

The main reason pottery was traditionally not thought to predate agriculture (well, except for figurines) wasn't taht people could not figure out how to do it, but rather that pottery dishware wasn't very practical for people who did not live all the time in one place - and living all the time in one place required agriculture.

If you are a hunter-gatherer, it is a bit inconvenient to lug heavy and breakable pottery bowls, jugs and plates about with you.

But evidently, this factor did not, in fact, prevent some hunter-gatherers from using pottery.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 11:05:40 AM

The main reason pottery was traditionally not thought to predate agriculture (well, except for figurines) wasn't taht people could not figure out how to do it, but rather that pottery dishware wasn't very practical for people who did not live all the time in one place - and living all the time in one place required agriculture.

If you are a hunter-gatherer, it is a bit inconvenient to lug heavy and breakable pottery bowls, jugs and plates about with you.

But evidently, this factor did not, in fact, prevent some hunter-gatherers from using pottery.

Makes sense I guess.  If you are out gathering a bunch of berries it makes sense to put them into a container that will hold its shape so that they dont all get smooshed (that is the technical term).

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2013, 11:08:01 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 11:05:40 AM

Makes sense I guess.  If you are out gathering a bunch of berries it makes sense to put them into a container that will hold its shape so that they dont all get smooshed (that is the technical term).

No-one is likely to use a pottery container for gathering berries. You'd make a basket out of organic materials - much lighter and also rigid.

Clearly, you failed to take Basket-Weaving 101 in university.  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 11:13:48 AM
Clearly, you failed to take Basket-Weaving 101 in university.  ;)

Guilty as charged.

The Minsky Moment

Pre-agrarian peoples could have semi-permanent abodes, like seasonal fishing or hunting grounds.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

The problem with notions of pottery come from some misconceptions.  The rounds of foraging hunters are scheduled, with weeks-long stays at various location for seasonal activities, crude pots would be useful in these situations.  Beyond this is the notion of pottery being something that is permanent.  Instead, crude pottery was use and throw out - discarded remnants of previous years pots could be added to the clay if ground up.  Crude fire-hardened clay is quick to make and discard, and would not last that long (in archaeological terms) after being thrown out.

I have always suspected that the use of clay will continue to be pushed back to at least the time of seeming cultural awakening around 50kya.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM