News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BoJo torn apart in BBC morning programme

Started by Syt, March 25, 2013, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2013, 11:20:58 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2013, 07:36:30 AMWho cares about the popular vote?

Usually the people who win it but fail to carry the election.

Eh Labor still got less than 50% in 1951.  Besides it is not a national election but by constituencies so the meaning of the popular vote is a little weird.  I mean there could be people who might vote for Churchill to be PM but just disliked the local Tory candidate so voted Labor instead...and vice versa.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2013, 11:24:51 AMEh Labor still got less than 50% in 1951.  Besides it is not a national election but by constituencies so the meaning of the popular vote is a little weird.  I mean there could be people who might vote for Churchill to be PM but just disliked the local Tory candidate so voted Labor instead...and vice versa.

Uh... okay?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2013, 12:11:40 PM
Uh... okay?

So I think the meaning of the popular vote is a little different when it is not a national election but a series of small elections with local factors.  I mean we do not even keep these kind of records for our Congressional Elections, but granted they would be even more meaningless since there are so many uncontested seats.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2013, 11:24:51 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2013, 11:20:58 AM
Eh Labor still got less than 50% in 1951.  Besides it is not a national election but by constituencies so the meaning of the popular vote is a little weird.  I mean there could be people who might vote for Churchill to be PM but just disliked the local Tory candidate so voted Labor instead...and vice versa.

Works the other way round here Valmy. People vote for a party not for the local candidate (who may swing 2-5% at most). Of course, in those days it wasn't just about who was leader either althgouh the Troy campaign in 1945 was heavily focussed on Churchill.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2013, 12:14:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2013, 12:11:40 PM
Uh... okay?

So I think the meaning of the popular vote is a little different when it is not a national election but a series of small elections with local factors.  I mean we do not even keep these kind of records for our Congressional Elections, but granted they would be even more meaningless since there are so many uncontested seats.

Sure. No argument from me. I was making a way more general comment :)

The Brain

Interviewer comes across as a retarded douche.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on March 27, 2013, 12:24:22 PM
Works the other way round here Valmy. People vote for a party not for the local candidate (who may swing 2-5% at most). Of course, in those days it wasn't just about who was leader either althgouh the Troy campaign in 1945 was heavily focussed on Churchill.

Wow so what is the point of having a constituency or a representative?  Seems like even having local elections he would be more beholden to the party rather than his constituents which sort of goes against the point of having a system like this.  Or...perhaps not.  2-5% can be pretty signficiant.

The Brain

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2013, 02:24:51 PM
Quotethe Troy campaign in 1945

:wacko:

The Trojans were simply not ready for Shermans.  :menace:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain