Is Tennesee Capitol Sink For Muslim Feet Washing?

Started by Syt, March 26, 2013, 01:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

No.

Stolen from Facebook.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_MOP_SINK_CONFUSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-03-25-17-33-31

QuoteIS TENN. CAPITOL SINK FOR MUSLIM FEET WASHING? NO

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Sometimes a mop sink is just a mop sink.

In Tennessee, legislative staffers and building managers have sought to reassure a few concerned lawmakers that recent state Capitol renovations didn't install special facilities for Muslims to wash their feet before praying. State officials say a new sink is instead meant to make it easier for custodial staff to fill buckets and clean mops.

Senate Clerk Russell Humphrey said he had been approached by two lawmakers to inquire about a new basin, which replaced a utility sink that had been mounted higher on the wall.

State Sen. Bill Ketron said he had asked about the change after being approached about it by a fellow Republican, Rep. Judd Matheny. Ketron said the answer dispelled any potential concerns, while Matheny said he couldn't recall raising questions.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Tennesee lawmakers must be really busy if they worry about this kind of things.  :lol:

Valmy

Well that was pretty random by Rep Matheny...allegedly anyway since he seems to have forgotten ever voicing concerns about this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on March 26, 2013, 07:33:53 AM
Tennesee lawmakers must be really busy if they worry about this kind of things.  :lol:

Law makers in Tennessee are always on the look out for potential Muslim infiltration.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 26, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Law makers in Tennessee are always on the look out for potential Muslim infiltration.

Of their precious bodily fluids, I guess.

fhdz

I'd be more concerned drunk politicians would use it as a urinal.
and the horse you rode in on

dps

I guess the real problem is that washing is such a foreign concept in Tennessee that they ascribe it to Moslems.

Syt

I bet the course of events was:

Matheny: "Seen them there new sinks? What's them so low for? Muslims washing their feet before prayer? LOLOL"
Ketron: "No idea, bubba. I'll better check. LOLOL"

Ketron, to building maintenance: "Btw, what's with them low sinks?"
BM: "It's for cleaning mops, filling buckets, that sort of thing."

Ketron: "The sinks? It's for the cleaning staff."
Matheny: "What sinks again?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: fahdiz on March 26, 2013, 11:19:54 AM
I'd be more concerned drunk politicians would use it as a urinal.
That was what I thought when I saw the pic, and I'm not even drunk.  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

dps

Note to self:  Never hire Lusti as a janitor--he can't be trusted around a mop sink.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
Heh, I'm reminded of this ad:

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/11/09/is-your-washroom-breeding-bolsheviks/

Muslims: the bathroom bolsheviks of the new millenium.  :lol:

There's still apparently mileage in Red Scare tactics.  Even a local union got into the act here in Cincinnati recently, connecting the proposed Workplace Freedom Act with "what is done in communist countries"  :D http://protectohiosmiddleclass.org/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi