Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

OK, concede large scale military brothels, but I don't see coerced by the government, which is pretty key to the WWII comfort women comparison.  You don't give pep talks to people about their patriotic duty whom you are coercing.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2016, 12:53:48 AM
OK, concede large scale military brothels, but I don't see coerced by the government, which is pretty key to the WWII comfort women comparison.  You don't give pep talks to people about their patriotic duty whom you are coercing.

You don't? Seems to me a pretty standard technique. It's used plenty with draftees, for example.

In any case, it seems sort of curious that something as simple as a change in government and the use of patriotic pep talks convinced a large swathe of Korean women to voluntarily become prostitutes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2016, 10:56:48 AM
You don't? Seems to me a pretty standard technique. It's used plenty with draftees, for example.

In any case, it seems sort of curious that something as simple as a change in government and the use of patriotic pep talks convinced a large swathe of Korean women to voluntarily become prostitutes.

You're leaving out massive economic destruction and huge refugee populations.  Plus a couple hundred thousand GIs with plenty of money to spend.

Note that neither the wiki article nor Squeeze's link about the law suit assert coercion by the government.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2016, 03:10:03 PM
You're leaving out massive economic destruction and huge refugee populations.  Plus a couple hundred thousand GIs with plenty of money to spend.

Fair enough. They may very well have been forced into prostitution through economic necessity.

QuoteNote that neither the wiki article nor Squeeze's link about the law suit assert coercion by the government.

Also fair enough. That said, the existence of pep talks about doing your patriotic duty by becoming a prostitute makes it clear that the government exerted at least some soft power to convince women to become comfort women.

Tonitrus

Here you go Tim...now when you get back, introduce some nice Korean girl to some good 'ol American-style meat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKOUxF-Dso

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 19, 2016, 04:07:59 AM
Here you go Tim...now when you get back, introduce some nice Korean girl to some good 'ol American-style meat...

I'm afraid to click.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

The clip was rather messy, but it seems the Korean girls received great pleasure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Latest news today is interesting.  It seems north Korea is adopting a carrot and stick approach to the west.
First the nukes. Stick!
Now....they'really claiming to have invented a hangover free alcohol. Carrot!

Alas I somewhat doubt their research on this one "the great leader has invented this alcohol that leaves no hang over. So you tried it last night. How do you all feel?"
"....Great!"
"....Fine"
"....Better than ever!"
"Ugh..... please not so loud"
"Arrest him!"
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

It's the drink of choice after getting 18 holes-in-one in a row.

jimmy olsen

I got to find this place!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 20, 2016, 01:18:26 PM

I got to find this place!

The name and address is in the video's summary.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2016, 10:39:56 AM
The clip was rather messy, but it seems the Korean girls received great pleasure.

The pulled pork didn't go over very well.

Also, how can you do BBQ without any sides?

Eddie Teach

They thought the pulled pork was great in a sandwich. That's how I usually eat it anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?