Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Hey Tim, have you ever seen the movie The Admiral: Roaring Currents? It is apparently the most popular movie (among Koreans) ever shown in Korea.

I saw it last night - it was a fun actioner, though naturally they just had to spice up the action with a lot of martial arts silliness (the historical battle appears to have been a rather one-sided pummeling by the Korean cannon; in the movie, the Korean Admiral Yi personally dispatches the Japanese big bad with his sword).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2015, 11:38:35 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2015, 11:30:37 AM
Because in large part the Korean government just picked up the pre existing imperial japanese comfort woman system and ran with it.
They forced women into military brothels on a large scale. It wasn't as bad as during ww2 of course but it still happened and it wasn't particularly nice.

Do you have a cite for any of this?  I've read your two links.

I really am curious where you got this from Squeeze.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2015, 04:43:56 PM
Because in large part the Korean government just picked up the pre existing imperial japanese comfort woman system and ran with it.
They forced women into military brothels on a large scale. It wasn't as bad as during ww2 of course but it still happened and it wasn't particularly nice.

Did you really kill that Japanese guy with a sword, or was that an embellishment for the movie that Malthus watched.  Cause my respect for you would really increase if you did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

It's just a movie Raz. He pretended to kill the guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2015, 04:43:56 PM

No idea where I originally heard about it, Ive been aware for a while. The Wikipedia article is rather well sourced.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2016, 05:33:52 PM
No idea where I originally heard about it, Ive been aware for a while. The Wikipedia article is rather well sourced.

It also doesn't corroborate anything you said in the post that i questioned.  All I got from that is "comfort women" is also a term that has been used to describe prostitutes that service GIs, and that "some of them have may have been forced."

Do I need to click on one of the chapters in that link to get to the part where it talks about the Korean government rounding up women and forcing them to have sex with GIs?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2016, 05:39:57 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2016, 05:33:52 PM

It also doesn't corroborate anything you said in the post that i questioned.  All I got from that is "comfort women" is also a term that has been used to describe prostitutes that service GIs, and that "some of them have may have been forced."

:mellow:
So in other words it corroborates everthing I said.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Except the parts about large scale, forced by the Korean government, and military brothels.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on December 30, 2015, 10:45:58 AM
Hey Tim, have you ever seen the movie The Admiral: Roaring Currents? It is apparently the most popular movie (among Koreans) ever shown in Korea.

I saw it last night - it was a fun actioner, though naturally they just had to spice up the action with a lot of martial arts silliness (the historical battle appears to have been a rather one-sided pummeling by the Korean cannon; in the movie, the Korean Admiral Yi personally dispatches the Japanese big bad with his sword).

Yeah, I saw it on the plane over last year. Very Korean in thw over the topness of the acting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2016, 06:25:32 PM
Except the parts about large scale, forced by the Korean government, and military brothels.

Also the taking over an existing system thing.  It does not surprise me in the least that some Japanese justified/dismissed the Japanese system of comfort women by claiming that Koreans and Americans do the same thing, nor does it surprise me that Tyr would accept that with out bothering to find out if it was true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2016, 10:38:04 PM
And this kind of thing is why it's a good idea to have the option to edit megathread titles.

Sure, so long as you don't get bent out of shape when people read your posts in the context of the current thread title.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2016, 06:25:32 PM

QuoteU.S. military and Syngman Rhee rule

In September 1945, United States Armed Forces occupied Korea, including Imperial Japanese comfort stations.[34] The women in comfort stations were also taken over.[5][34] In 1946, the United States Army Military Government in Korea outlawed prostitution in South Korea.[4][35]

Under US Military rule, Korean society treated prostitutes with humiliation that included stoning and cursing from children.[3] However, by 1953, the total number of prostitutes amounted to 350,000.[4][35] Between the 1950s and 1960s, 60 percent of South Korean prostitutes worked near U.S. military camps.[4][35] During the Korean War, it was the South Korean Army that controlled Wianbu units performing sexual services for United Nations and South Korean soldiers.[1][36] Throughout the Korean War, two separate types of comfort stations were operated.[37] One was U.N. Comfort Stations (UN위안소, UN慰安所) for UN peacekeeping units, and the other was Special Comfort Stations (특수위안소, 特殊慰安所) for soldiers of the Republic of Korea Army.[37] U.N. Comfort Stations were administered in collaboration with provincial governors, mayors and police.[38] The majority of women working in U.N. Comfort Stations were married and supporting their families.[38] On the front lines, women were brought in by trucks without permission.[1]

Between 1951 and 1954, the women units were referred to as Special Comfort Units (특수위안대, 特殊慰安隊).[36][39] Some South Korean corps referred to the women as Class V supply,[1] because the South Korean Army had only up to Class IV supplies.[40] War History on the Home Front (후방전사, 後方戰史) published by the Republic of Korea Army in 1956, refers to the existence of the South Korean military's comfort women units.[36][39] General Chae Myung-shin, the South Korean Vietnam Expeditionary Forces Commanding Officer, also commented on the comfort women units during the Korean War in his memoir Beyond the Deadline (死線을 넘고넘어, 사선을 넘고넘어) published in 1994.[40] Chae says, "The adopting of the military comfort women system strengthened the morale of officers and soldiers, and prevented sexually transmitted infection. There was a viewpoint that the army internalized unlicensed prostitutes who were spreading in society and protected their human rights."[40] Chae also remarks, "I don't want to expose the military to dishonor, but I record these as the undeniable facts."[40]

Seems pretty in line with what Tyr is saying.

From: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitutes_in_South_Korea_for_the_U.S._military

Edit: according to the linked article, Camptown ladies and relate businesses generated a quarter of Koreas GDP in the 60s. The women were trained, licensed and managed by the Korean government.