Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Disappointing, but not too surprising.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/03/south-korea-accused-rewriting-history-schoolbook-policy

Agence France-Presse

Tuesday 3 November 2015 12.15 GMT  Last modified on Tuesday 3 November 2015 12.40 GMT 

South Korea has pushed ahead with a highly controversial plan to introduce government-issued history textbooks in schools, despite angry protests by opposition parties and academics.

The policy has become a bitter ideological battleground between left and right in South Korea, with the government claiming the changes are necessary to correct a "pro-North Korean" bias. Critics have accused president Park Geun-Hye's administration of seeking to manipulate and distort the narrative of how the South Korean state was created.

Following an obligatory 20-day period to canvass public opinion, prime minister Hwang Kyo-Ahn and education minister Hwang Woo-Yea confirmed that from 2017 middle and high school students would each receive a single government-issued history textbook.

"We cannot teach our children with biased history textbooks," Hwang said in a televised statement.

Although the textbooks cover ancient history, it is the interpretation of the country's turbulent recent past, which is most contested – not least the autocratic rule and legacy of Park's father, Park Chung-Hee.

It was Park Chung-Hee who introduced state-issued textbooks in 1973, a system that survived the country's transition from military to democratic rule.

In 2003, the system was relaxed with the introduction of privately published textbooks, which then became the norm from 2010, although they were still subject to state inspection.

Park's conservative administration argued that the books had taken on an increasingly liberal, leftwing bias, which some have even labelled as "pro-North Korean".

Battleground with multiple fronts

Arguments have focused on issues such as who bears most responsibility for the outbreak of the 1950-53 Korean war, and how the textbooks should reference North Korea's official "juche" ideology.

Deeply sensitive issues such as collaboration during Japan's 1910-45 colonial rule are also strongly contested, as well as the violence that accompanied the move to democracy in the 1980s and 90s.

Hwang dismissed " the concerns that state-issued textbooks would glorify the authoritarian, military rule of the past as groundless. "This society is too mature to allow ... such an attempt to distort history," he said.

A vocal coalition of liberal politicians, academics, students and civic groups disagree, however. There have also been large street demonstrations against the new policy.

The main opposition New Politics Alliance for Democracy (NPAD) staged a sit-in protest at the National Assembly overnight, before Tuesday's announcement.

The NPAD chief, Moon Jae-In, said the government had turned a deaf ear to mounting public opposition. "This is no less than outright dictatorship," he added. "No free democracy in the world has state-issued history textbooks."

An opinion poll published last week by Gallup Korea showed that 49% of Korean adults were against the policy, with 36% in favour.

The state-issued history textbooks will be written by a government-appointed panel of teachers and academics.

Park Geun-Hye has stated that the most critical role of historical education is to "instil our future generation with pride in their country".

Her critics accuse her of hypocrisy in light of her own condemnation of Japanese historical revisionism regarding the colonial period.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Do the new Korean textbooks give proper credit to the US, err UN, for South Korea's continued freedom?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I'm curious what the correct and incorrect opinions on who started the Korean War are.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2015, 06:57:07 PM
I'm curious what the correct and incorrect opinions on who started the Korean War are.

Well there is one correct one, and N-1 incorrect ones.  N being infinity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Um I guess I am confused who else would issue textbooks in a public school but the government?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 11:40:14 PM
Um I guess I am confused who else would issue textbooks in a public school but the government?

Schools in the US buy books from private publishers. It's been like that in Korea as well for the last decade as well, but now the government is going to write and publish the books themselves.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2015, 12:11:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2015, 11:40:14 PM

Schools in the US buy books from private publishers.

And that had always been pretty much a well known scam/racket.

Monoriu

Yeah, school textbook is a completely dysfunctional market.  Those who pay for the goods (parents) have no control over the purchasing decision whatsoever.  The schools say these books are required reading.  So parents must pay private publishers.  They have no choice.  Can't even choose not to buy.  Meanwhile, the publishers give schools all sorts of goodies.  Governments approve the curriculum and by extension, the textbooks anyway.  May as well give the textbooks to the parents. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2015, 02:10:21 AM
Yeah, school textbook is a completely dysfunctional market.  Those who pay for the goods (parents) have no control over the purchasing decision whatsoever.  The schools say these books are required reading.  So parents must pay private publishers.  They have no choice.  Can't even choose not to buy.  Meanwhile, the publishers give schools all sorts of goodies.  Governments approve the curriculum and by extension, the textbooks anyway.  May as well give the textbooks to the parents.

In American public schools the parents don't pay for text books, the schools do.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

She's not too popular these days

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34820596?SThisFB

S Korea protesters clash with police in Seoul 

• 14 November 2015
  • From the section Asia
Security forces in the South Korean capital Seoul have clashed with protesters during one of the country's biggest street rallies in recent years.

Police used tear gas and water cannons against demonstrators demanding the resignation of conservative President Park Geun-hye.
Tens of thousands of people of took part in the march, according to police.

It brought together various groups, including trade unions opposed to the president's business-friendly policies.
Others were protesting against the imposition of state-approved history schoolbooks, which they say whitewash South Korea's past dictatorships.

Many marchers chanted "Park Geun-hye, step down''. Security forces fired tear gas when some of them tried to break through police barricades as they moved towards the presidency.

Park Geun-hye, South Korea's first female president, was elected two years ago.

She is pushing through controversial plans to make labour markets more flexible by giving employers more leeway in dismissing workers.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

About time for Kim Jung Fatass to fire off a missile since everybody isn't paying attention to him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 17, 2015, 09:53:47 AM
About time for Kim Jung Fatass to fire off a missile since everybody isn't paying attention to him.

Heh, worrying about North Korea is so last millennium.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt