Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Too bad he didn't suceed with his self immolation attempt. <_<

http://news.yahoo.com/skorean-media-us-ambassador-attacked-hurt-231639651.html
QuoteYTN TV reported that the suspect — identified by police as 55-year-old Kim Ki-jong — screamed during the attack, "South and North Korea should be reunified." The comments appear to reflect a bitter, lingering political division in South Korean society over the 1950-53 Korean War's legacy and the continuing split of the Korean Peninsula along the world's most heavily armed border.

A witness, Ahn Yang-ok, the head of the Korean Federation of Teachers' Associations, told YTN that Lippert had just been seated for breakfast ahead of the lecture organized by the Korean Council for Reconciliation and Cooperation when a man ran toward the ambassador from a nearby table. A separate, unidentified witness said that as Lippert stood up for a handshake, the suspect wrestled the ambassador to the ground and slashed him with a knife.View gallery  U.S. Ambassador to South Korea Mark Lippert leaves after he was slashed in the face by an unidentifi ...Yonhap TV showed men in suits and ties piled on top of the attacker, who was dressed in a modern version of the traditional Korean hanbok, and Lippert later being rushed to a police car with a blood-soaked handkerchief pressed to his cheek. The suspect also shouted anti-war slogans after he was detained, police said.

A police official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still happening, said the suspect in 2010 threw a piece of concrete at the Japanese ambassador in Seoul. South Korean media reported that Kim Ki-jong was later sentenced to a three-year suspended prison term over the attack. Kim, who was protesting Japan's claim to small disputed islands that are occupied by South Korea, missed the ambassador with the concrete and hit his secretary instead, the reports said.

Kim also reportedly tried to set himself on fire with gasoline while protesting in front of the presidential Blue House in October 2007
. He was demanding a government investigation into an alleged 1988 rape in Kim's office, according to news reports.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 04, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
I'm with you there mongers. I don't really get why the news decided it's okay to show videos of executions or random killings.

Exactly.  The news must not include anything that might offend someone.  Let's not bemoan random killings or executions, just the fact that the news media cover such things and sometimes have disturbing images.

How nice of you to respond to something I didn't write.

The news can include all the offending stories it wants to. A video of an execution might offend me but that's not why I don't want them to show it, it's because it's disgusting and doesn't serve the story.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on March 05, 2015, 10:26:06 AMThe news can include all the offending stories it wants to. A video of an execution might offend me but that's not why I don't want them to show it, it's because it's disgusting and doesn't serve the story.

Yeah, the TV was on last night and the news did a bit on the first day of trials of the Boston bomber fellow... but most of the segment was videos of the original bombing and the immediate aftermath (with a focus on bleeding people) and lurid description of limbs being torn off and children suffering.

It seemed a bit much to me for a segment that ostensibly was about a court case.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2015, 11:47:22 AM
Quote from: Liep on March 05, 2015, 10:26:06 AMThe news can include all the offending stories it wants to. A video of an execution might offend me but that's not why I don't want them to show it, it's because it's disgusting and doesn't serve the story.

Yeah, the TV was on last night and the news did a bit on the first day of trials of the Boston bomber fellow... but most of the segment was videos of the original bombing and the immediate aftermath (with a focus on bleeding people) and lurid description of limbs being torn off and children suffering.

It seemed a bit much to me for a segment that ostensibly was about a court case.

Yes, I'm not against highlighting or point towards disturbing images, but where those are just used for ratings wins then I think the journalists have given into the pressure for tv viewers or page refreshes. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on March 05, 2015, 10:26:06 AM

The news can include all the offending stories it wants to. A video of an execution might offend me but that's not why I don't want them to show it, it's because it's disgusting and doesn't serve the story.

Not everything is about you and what you write...

In any case, I understand that you don't want the news to show anything that you, personally, don't want to see.  I simply reject the idea that the news media censor themselves because you think something is disgusting, or you think that it doesn't serve a story.  News coverage isn't about you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2015, 11:47:22 AM

This is a reasonable complaint, and your best response is to boycott that news service, rather than arguing for them not to show things because you personally don't believe that showing them helps the news coverage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2015, 12:59:53 PM

In any case, I understand that you don't want the news to show anything that you, personally, don't want to see.  I simply reject the idea that the news media censor themselves because you think something is disgusting, or you think that it doesn't serve a story.  News coverage isn't about you.

Oookay. I'm not suggesting they censor themselves because I don't want to see a head chopped off. I'm suggesting they evaluate if showing that chopped off head is doing anyone any good.

EDIT: And because you will likely respond that not all news is good news I'll add that by 'doing good' I also mean informing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on March 05, 2015, 01:49:00 PM
Oookay. I'm not suggesting they censor themselves because I don't want to see a head chopped off. I'm suggesting they evaluate if showing that chopped off head is doing anyone any good.

Since they do evaluate, your suggestion is moot.

QuoteEDIT: And because you will likely respond that not all news is good news I'll add that by 'doing good' I also mean informing.

EDIT: and since you will likely respond that they don't make such evaluations, I'll add that an argument by assertion is meaningless.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2015, 12:59:53 PM

I have to use this line next time I false attribute something to someone and get called on it.  I like how inexplicable and absurd it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Classless cunts as usual  :mad:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/n-korea-calls-attack-u-s-ambassador-lippert-punishment-n317786

QuoteNorth Korea's official KCNA news agency called the attack "deserved punishment" and "the knife of justice" for U.S. military exercises with South Korea.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/police-seek-attempted-murder-charge-attack-ambassador-lippert-n318406

QuoteSouth Korean police have sought a warrant against the man accused of attacking a U.S. ambassador with a knife, and plan to seek charges of attempted murder and violence on a foreign mission. Kim Ki-jong, 55, could also be charged with violating national security laws, police said Friday.

Kim is accused of slashing the ambassador, Mark Lippert, in the face and arms in Seoul Thursday. The attack left Lippert with a four-inch gash on his face and a wound to his arm that required three hours of surgery.

Police said Kim, who officials said has visited North Korea six times from 2006 to 2007 and shouted that the two countries should be unified as he lunged at Lippert, was angry about joint military exercises by South Korean and U.S. troops. "I carried out an act of terror," Kim shouted as he was pinned to the floor by bystanders.

As he was led from the police station en route to the courthouse Friday, Kim shouted, " I am sick," and "I have no relations with the North Korea."

Lippert said on Twitter that he is "doing well" and "in great spirits," adding, "Will be back ASAP to advance US-ROK Alliance!" South Korea is officially known as the Republic of Korea, or ROK.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

As you may know I was transfered to an elementary school this year from the girl's high school I was working at the last three years, and the text books tend to have all foreigners in "cute" versions of traditional dress. Japanese in Kimono, Chinese in Cheongsam, Germans in Lederhosen, Americans as cowboys (in San Franscisco  :hmm:), and Canadians wearing sweaters with Maple Leafs on them!  :lmfao:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2015, 07:09:17 PM
As you may know I was transfered to an elementary school this year from the girl's high school I was working at the last three years,

Did you request this transfer, or some administrator just up and decided to stick you with 7 year olds?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?