Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lets hope not

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2013/04/10/91/0301000000AEN20130410000700315F.HTML

Quote(2nd LD) S. Korea should weigh departure from NPT, lawmaker says
By Lee Chi-dong
WASHINGTON, April 9 (Yonhap) -- In an effort to counter North Korea's military threats, South Korea should keep all options on the table, including withdrawal from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT), a senior South Korean politician said Tuesday.

"Facing an extraordinary threat to national security, South Korea may exercise the right to withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty as stipulated in article 10 of the treaty," Rep. Chung Mong-joon, former leader of the ruling Saenuri Party, said, addressing the 2013 Carnegie International Nuclear Policy Conference. "South Korea would then match North Korea's nuclear progress step-by-step while committing to stop if North Korea stops."

The two-day forum opened Monday to discuss nuclear nonproliferation, deterrence, disarmament and energy, drawing 800 experts and officials from more than 45 countries and international organizations, according to the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

The seven-term lawmaker emphasized that Seoul should be given this leeway as a "law-abiding member of the global community who is threatened by a nuclear rogue state."

Some in South Korea even say, he noted, the only way to solve the North Korean nuclear problem is for the country to follow the India-Pakistan example, or the case of Israel.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2013, 03:42:14 AM
Lets hope not

It's only a matter of time. The only way it won't eventually happen is if the NK regime falls before the South Koreans get too freaked out over the nuke threat. It might take the same form as the Israeli nuke program, aka not "official".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

As long as SK is convinced that the US will treat a nuclear attack on them as a nuclear attack on the US, this is just posturing. And not very healthy posturing at that.

And I think the US has made it pretty clear that no matter what happens, NK using a nuke on anyone would result in NK having a issue with continuing existence.

There is no actual utility to SK becoming a nuclear power, at least in regards to NK.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Christine Anampour and Fareed Zakarias were just on the Wolfman Show.  Chris said we absolutely must a high level envoy to Pyongyang.  We must....engage.

Fareed totally shot her down.  Called it the worst thing we could do.  Wasn't nice about it at all.

Pretty good TV.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2013, 11:07:21 AM
As long as SK is convinced that the US will treat a nuclear attack on them as a nuclear attack on the US, this is just posturing. And not very healthy posturing at that.

And I think the US has made it pretty clear that no matter what happens, NK using a nuke on anyone would result in NK having a issue with continuing existence.

There is no actual utility to SK becoming a nuclear power, at least in regards to NK.
Yeah, but it's bad geopolitics to perpetually rely on your ally for your existence.  That's why Israel can be so troublesome to US despite the latter's unwavering support.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2013, 05:50:19 PM
Yeah, but it's bad geopolitics to perpetually rely on your ally for your existence.  That's why Israel can be so troublesome to US despite the latter's unwavering support.

All it takes is a little doubt. My understanding is SK already has popular problems with the American presence.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

can't we just let china invade? i mean how much worst could a chinese north korea be then a north korean north korea?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2013, 05:38:39 PM
Christine Anampour and Fareed Zakarias were just on the Wolfman Show.  Chris said we absolutely must a high level envoy to Pyongyang.  We must....engage.

Fareed totally shot her down.  Called it the worst thing we could do.  Wasn't nice about it at all.

Pretty good TV.

Fareed's only a weenie when it involves the Muddled East.  If Lil' Kim wore a bathrobe and insulted people's mustaches with his shoe, Fareed would be all for engagement.
Shame the Zionist Entity isn't closer to the Korean Peninsula.

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on April 10, 2013, 06:34:26 PM
can't we just let china invade? i mean how much worst could a chinese north korea be then a north korean north korea?

We sure could-- if China were dumb enough to take on that project. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 10, 2013, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2013, 05:50:19 PM

All it takes is a little doubt. My understanding is SK already has popular problems with the American presence.
They seem to have had less problems with it in recent years. A combination of increased Northern bellicosity and their own rising self confidence due to their increased prosperity and power.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

I imagine things like the end of Iraq have probably helped too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2013, 07:39:54 PM
I imagine things like the end of Iraq have probably helped too.

I don't see the connection.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2013, 06:36:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2013, 05:38:39 PM

Pretty good TV.

Fareed's only a weenie when it involves the Muddled East.  If Lil' Kim wore a bathrobe and insulted people's mustaches with his shoe, Fareed would be all for engagement.
Shame the Zionist Entity isn't closer to the Korean Peninsula.

Considering Israel's willingness to ally with anyone who isn't actively trying to kill them, it's perhaps better they are not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017