Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2013, 01:16:35 PM
I really dont' see any substantive difference between his antics and Bed Head's.
He seems to be ratcheting this up without even the pretense of aspiring to talks.  I always remember Bed Head having tantrums in the hope that it would lead to more favorable talks. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on April 09, 2013, 01:17:53 PM
He seems to be ratcheting this up without even the pretense of aspiring to talks.  I always remember Bed Head having tantrums in the hope that it would lead to more favorable talks. 

Yeah, and he wanted to have talks directly with the US.  Apparently multilateral talks were an insult to him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Right.  Is Un even demanding that? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

I'm not entirely convinced he's really the one in charge in North Korea.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2013, 02:26:38 PM
I'm not entirely convinced he's really the one in charge in North Korea.

I don't disagree, but I'd add there doesn't necessarily have to be one in charge; there can be a situation where there's one notionally in charge, but different power blocks vying behind the scenes for the real power.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

According to one theory his aunt is still pulling the strings.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

N.Korea 'Planning Fresh Missile Test Soon'

North Korea notified foreign diplomats from several countries of its plan to launch a missile over Japan toward the Pacific Ocean around Wednesday, the Sankei Shimbun reported citing informed sources.

The North on Friday urged foreign embassies to evacuate their missions in Pyongyang, saying it cannot guarantee the safety of staff.

South Korea believes the North may test a Mudusan-type missile with a range of 3,000 to 4,000 km as early as Tuesday, given that communication on the east coast has been on the increase.
[email protected] / Apr. 09, 2013 13:28 KST
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Dunno how legitimate the source is, but the DailyNK website is saying that while NK is maintaining its external war rhetoric, internally the propaganda banners & posters have changed from war preparation to economic/productivity themes.  Also, reserves & militia forces are being de-mobilized so that they can get started on the farming year.

All of which means the time for us to strike is now :menace:

MadImmortalMan

Do they have some sort of soldier-farmer system like Cao Cao or something?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2013, 04:02:48 PM
All of which means the time for us to strike is now :menace:
If we actually did, would NK be the first regime in history that got destroyed for being too annoying? :hmm:

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 09, 2013, 04:07:29 PM
Do they have some sort of soldier-farmer system like Cao Cao or something?

Well, yeah.  They do draw a lot of labor from military ranks.  But the ones reportedly being sent back to the farms right now are reservists and Red Guards militia types, whose "day job" is farming.

PDH

The have to grow enough grass for everyone to eat.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Caliga

A while back I read an article that made me burn with anger re: the North Korean government.  As you people have either heard before or will not at all be surprised to hear, the North Koreans keep a lot of people in concentration camps where they basically work them to death, Nazi-style.  The rations are so meager at said camps that the inmates will pick bits of corn out of cow shit and fight over who gets to eat them. :cry:

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2013, 04:28:32 PM
A while back I read an article that made me burn with anger re: the North Korean government.  As you people have either heard before or will not at all be surprised to hear, the North Koreans keep a lot of people in concentration camps where they basically work them to death, Nazi-style.  The rations are so meager at said camps that the inmates will pick bits of corn out of cow shit and fight over who gets to eat them. :cry:

I saw a video where a camp guard (?) who escaped to the south related that story.  In the context of North Korea, entirely believable.  I think it was the same National Geographic Explorer video I mentioned a few days ago about the Nepalese eye surgeon who went to North Korea to do 1000 cataract procedures: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBywKrTf4

Disturbing but informative.