Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on April 04, 2013, 11:50:18 AM
Norks??? Who gave them that name. Suppose the South is Sorks... :rolleyes:

It implies that the North Koreans are a warlike hideous monster people bred from slime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote@StevieJohnson13: "War is nothing to be played with. I apologize North Korea.......but if y'all do bomb 1st... Bomb Foxboro, Mass. Sincerely, #BillsMafia"

:wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Koreans getting alarmist.

(LEAD) N. Korean missile launch sites show increased activities: sources
By Kim Eun-jung
SEOUL, March 29 (Yonhap) -- North Korea's missile sites have recently shown increased activities in the wake of the communist nation's threat to strike South Korea and the United States in response to their ongoing military drill involving nuclear-capable bombers, military sources in Seoul said Friday.

The latest move comes after the North Korean military on Tuesday put its strategic rocket units on the highest level of combat readiness, threatening to strike targets in South Korea as well as U.S. bases in Hawaii and Guam.

Following the U.S. military's unprecedented announcement that its nuclear-capable B-2 stealth bombers participated in the joint military drill in the South, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on Friday ordered the country's strategic rocket forces to assume combat ready status in a fresh threat to hit U.S. bases with its long-range missiles.

Amid heightened tensions, South Korean and U.S. forces have focused their intelligence efforts on monitoring the North's missile sites, which have shown brisk activities.

"North Korea's launch sites to fire off mid- and long-range missiles have recently shown increased movement of vehicles and forces," the official said, asking for anonymity. "We are closely watching possibilities of missile launches."

North Korea's missile launch site in Dongchan-ri, located in the northwestern region (Yonhap file photo)

Another source said several vehicles were seen moving to the Tongchang-ri missile site on the western coast, in what seemed like preparations for testing its long-range missiles.

Seoul's defense ministry saw the latest move as a "follow-up measure" to the North Korean military's announcement of the heightened level of combat readiness, but it did not elaborate on "a rocket preparation plan" signed in the North.

Tensions on the peninsula have risen after the North launched a long-range rocket in December 2012 and conducted its third nuclear test last month, which drew new rounds of U.N. sanctions on the isolated state.

After the North announced it had voided the Armistice Agreement and cut the military hotline connecting two Koreas, concerns rose over unprovoked attacks by the recalcitrant neighbor, which launched deadly attacks near the western maritime border in 2010.

Although Pyongyang has routinely denounced past annual drills in the South, Seoul and Washington have taken its bellicose rhetoric more seriously this year as the North has even threatened an "all-out battle" and "pre-emptive nuclear strike" against the U.S. mainland, which are unusually intense threats.

Outside watchers, however, consider Pyongyang's latest remarks to be aimed at strengthening control domestically and building military credentials, raising doubts over whether it has the technology to build an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.

On Friday morning, a North Korean Mig-21 fighter jet flew near South Korea's front-line airspace, known as the Tactical Action Line (TAL), and returned to its base, according to military officials. The supersonic fighter jet has a maximum speed of about 2,000 km/h.

The provocative flight prompted the South Korean Air Force to dispatch a KF-16 fighter, they said, without further elaboration.

TAL is the point between 20 and 50 kilometers north of South Korean airspace. Any aircraft approaching that line compels fighter jets in the South to scramble.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

http://www.businessinsider.com/expect-north-korean-missile-launch-soon-2013-4

ANALYST: US Military Expects North Korean Missile Launch

Enough bluster: Apparently Kim Jong-Un intends to walk the walk.

A prominent arms analyst has told an Australian think-tank that U.S. troop movements west of the peninsula indicate that a North Korean missile launch is imminent.

From the Lowy Institute for International Policy:

"The United States, Australia and other allies appear to be taking important policy decisions on the basis of the imminent deployment of the KN-08. If this is the case, they should say so directly and provide the basis for asserting the imminent deployment of the KN-08," said Jeffrey Lewis, founding editor of Arms Control Wonk.

The impending launch comes on the heels of intelligence about missile movements on the western side of the peninsula. Pentagon Press Secretary told reporters yesterday that "test flights" of certain missile systems were possible.

The surest sign of intent occurred Wednesday morning when North Korea delayed the passage of and then blocked hundreds of South Korean workers from the shared Kaesong market. If the market remains closed on Thursday, it would be another strong indicator of intent.

This measure from Kim Jong-Un follows significant troop movements on behalf of both the U.S. and China. Bill Gertz of the Washington Free Beacon recently reported that troops have begun staging in two of China's northeast provinces.

Those provinces both align with known nuclear sites inside North Korea.

Meanwhile, the U.S. has moved an advanced radar and two Aegis class destroyers off the west coast. The $900 million SBX radar array has been compared to the Iron Dome in Israel, only much more accurate — and the Aegis-class destroyers are particularly adept at knocking missiles out of the sky.

The kicker, though, is that until recently, analysts thought these particular North Korean missiles were just a prop. Little is known about KN-08 road-mobile missile, other than from what was seen at a parade in April 2012.

The KN-08.

Analysts say it could be medium-range, or worse, an intercontinental variety. Still, they have no idea what to expect.

There's also talk about the somewhat less terrifying Musudan, which is believed to be a varient of the SCUD — a missile more fit for terrifying soft-targets, like population centers, rather than taking out military targets.

Though Gertz and other analysts tend to believe China's troop movements are in support of North Korea, recent calls from Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to top military leadership in China indicate some level of cooperation.

Recently, the Army released information about a wargame concerning the fall of Kim Jong-Un, the collapse of the government, and follow on actions to protect the estimated eight nuclear warheads in North Korean possession.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Why a new thread when we had one going with almost 300 replies?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2013, 05:16:12 PM

Because "L'il Kim" was not exactly on my search radar at the time.
and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

fhdz

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2013, 05:16:12 PM

They be talkin' 'bout the same shit.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

11B4V

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 05:48:38 PM

You know, maybe it's time to finnish the game that was put on hold in 1953. Surely dont wish it, as I still have a lot of friends still in, especially in infantry units. A stand up fight of Infantry, Arty, and Airpower. Right up the US and "Crew of the Willing's" alley. The west right now has some of the most combat experienced armies.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive