Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 04, 2013, 04:54:27 AM
It seems the implicit assumption is that nothing short of NK actually initiating war constitutes a casus belli.  Claiming to have WMD's and making endless bellicose threats against the USA and its allies isn't enough to justify a preemptive action. 

Of course it's largely to due to China and the damage war could cause to S.Korea or possiblyJapan, but still, it adds another dimension on how to think about the war with Iraq in 2003.

We should have glassed NK over as soon as they revealed that they had a nuke.

mongers

I could see something like a N.Korean commando raid like the one a couple of decades ago that tried to kill the S.Korean president.

Or maybe something like that submarine reconnaissance incident.

The advantage of these types of attacks is N.Korea gets to blow it's war trumpet and the S.Koreans stomp on it, but don't necessarily have to escalate into a major cross border retaliation, all the action having taken place in the south. 

So that's my 'bet' for the next couple of weeks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on April 04, 2013, 10:49:47 AM
I could see something like a N.Korean commando raid like the one a couple of decades ago that tried to kill the S.Korean president.

Or maybe something like that submarine reconnaissance incident.

The advantage of these types of attacks is N.Korea gets to blow it's war trumpet and the S.Koreans stomp on it, but don't necessarily have to escalate into a major cross border retaliation, all the action having taken place in the south. 

So that's my 'bet' for the next couple of weeks.

It might be different this time.  Especially an assassination attempt on the ROK prez. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2013, 07:33:11 AM
Sheilbh was talking about hoping the US would not protest if China gave shelter to the NK leadership, since it would be dangerous. I called that out as appeasement.
You and Marty started talking about various different things. Thats pretty much what happened.
That's not what appeasement is though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2013, 10:56:16 AM
Sheilbh was talking about hoping the US would not protest if China gave shelter to the NK leadership, since it would be dangerous. I called that out as appeasement.
You and Marty started talking about various different things. Thats pretty much what happened.

moral cowardice is moral cowardice.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2013, 10:58:16 AMmoral cowardice is moral cowardice.

That's true.

But what Sheilbh proposed is not moral cowardice. The point is not to bring Kim to "justice" so Hungarians will feel there was a suitable ending to the story.

fhdz

What do you think? Will North Korea do something truly stupid or is this just more of the elaborate game of chicken they've been playing for years?
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

This is clearly being done for their own domestic consumption so they will not intend to really do anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2013, 11:46:16 AM
This is clearly being done for their own domestic consumption so they will not intend to really do anything.

I just read that as of today they've toned down their insults a bit - they just called us a "boiled pumpkin" :lol:

fhdz

In all seriousness, though, I think there's something to worry about simply from them turning the Yongbyon reactor back on. An accident could be worse in some cases than an attack.

11B4V

Norks??? Who gave them that name. Suppose the South is Sorks... :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Souks would be consistent.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 11:52:31 AM
Souks would be consistent.

Ah, quite so. Still stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2013, 10:58:16 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2013, 10:56:16 AM
moral cowardice is moral cowardice.
But that's not what we're talking about here.  What we're talking about here is letting dictators who retire without a fight enjoy their retirement, because that's a more effective use of our resources.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Seems like a minor snub but possibly symbolic:

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2969614&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

QuoteBeijing rejects North's envoy request

Apr 04,2013

BEIJING - Pyongyang has allegedly asked Beijing to send them an envoy in order to improve their soured relations, but Beijing turned it down, seen as a warning regarding the regime's recent warmongering rhetoric.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall