Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

China is apparently moving assets close to its border with North Korea.  Question is, what for?  I assume they have a treaty in place to help the Norks, but I wonder if they would follow through.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 12:30:31 PM
China is apparently moving assets close to its border with North Korea.  Question is, what for?  I assume they have a treaty in place to help the Norks, but I wonder if they would follow through.

I can only hope it it to block the retreating North Koreans.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Breaking News:

US to move missiles to Guam after North Korea threats

The US is moving an advanced missile system to the Pacific island of Guam as a precaution following threats by North Korea, the Pentagon has said.

The Department of Defence said it would deploy the ballistic Terminal High Altitude Area Defense System (Thaad) in the coming weeks.

Pyongyang has threatened to target South Korea and the US in recent weeks.

The state's warlike rhetoric follows new UN sanctions and joint military drills by the US and South Korea.

The Thaad system includes a truck-mounted launcher, interceptor missiles, and AN/TPY-2 tracking radar, together with an integrated fire control system.

The Pentagon said in a statement the missile system would be moved to Guam as a "precautionary move to strengthen our regional defence posture against the North Korean regional ballistic missile threat".

"The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and stands ready to defend US territory, our allies, and our national interests," the statement added

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22021832
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 03, 2013, 12:42:39 PM

I can only hope it it to block the retreating North Koreans.

Well part of the reason seems to be concern over waves of NK refugees, though I'm sure we won't see the PLA mowing down waves of NK civilians as they try to cross the river.  The other reason is to demonstrate to the Norks that China would fulfill its obligations.  What China would actually do if the Norks provoked a war, who knows. 

Also read that there hasn't been any significant Nork military activity noticed since last Friday (too lazy to go back & look up the source), so its kinda odd that the US seems to be upping the ante by a small amount each day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 02:53:39 PM
Well part of the reason seems to be concern over waves of NK refugees, though I'm sure we won't see the PLA mowing down waves of NK civilians as they try to cross the river.

We won't see it, only because they won't be broadcasting it.  :D

QuoteThe other reason is to demonstrate to the Norks that China would fulfill its obligations.  What China would actually do if the Norks provoked a war, who knows. 

They'll promptly mow down Norkies in the Yalu.

QuoteAlso read that there hasn't been any significant Nork military activity noticed since last Friday (too lazy to go back & look up the source), so its kinda odd that the US seems to be upping the ante by a small amount each day.

But we don't know what's going on, either.  Could be plenty of conventional stuff in the North happening that's not making it to open source.

"They're fueling their missiles! We don't have time to fuck around!"

CountDeMoney

Wow;  Tommy Lee Jones was originally offered that role but turned it down, and Hackman was the 2nd choice.  Interesting.

derspiess

More words.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gpuimXzka5inwGnL0c9vZsbQ54fw?docId=CNG.4eb43e27607cb9d4be6b952b88ddefeb.01

QuoteN. Korea approves nuclear strike on United States

By Jung Ha-Won (AFP) – 22 minutes ago 

SEOUL — North Korea dramatically escalated its warlike rhetoric on Thursday, warning that it had authorised plans for nuclear strikes on targets in the United States.

"The moment of explosion is approaching fast," the North Korean military said, warning that war could break out "today or tomorrow".

Pyongyang's latest pronouncement came as Washington scrambled to reinforce its Pacific missile defences, preparing to send ground-based interceptors to Guam and dispatching two Aegis class destroyers to the region.

Tension was also high on the North's heavily-fortified border with South Korea, after Kim Jong-Un's isolated regime barred South Koreans from entering a Seoul-funded joint industrial park on its side of the frontier.

In a statement published by the state KCNA news agency, the Korean People's Army general staff warned Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

"The merciless operation of our revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified," the statement said.

Last month, North Korea threatened a "pre-emptive" nuclear strike against the United States, and last week its supreme army command ordered strategic rocket units to combat status.

But, while Pyongyang has successfully carried out test nuclear detonations, most experts think it is not yet capable of mounting a device on a ballistic missile capable of striking US bases or territory.

Mounting tension in the region could however trigger incidents on the tense and heavily-militarised border between North and South Korea.

There was no immediate American reaction to the North's latest statement, but US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Pyongyang represented a "real and clear danger" to the United States and to its allies South Korea and Japan.

"They have nuclear capacity now, they have missile delivery capacity now," Hagel said after a strategy speech at the National Defense University. "We take those threats seriously, we have to take those threats seriously."

"We are doing everything we can, working with the Chinese and others, to defuse that situation on the peninsula. I hope the North will ratchet its very dangerous rhetoric down," he said.

The Pentagon said it would send ground-based THAAD interceptor batteries to protect US bases on the island of Guam, complementing two Aegis anti-missile destroyers already dispatched to the region.

The THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defence) is a truck-mounted system that can pinpoint an enemy missile launch, track the projectile and launch an interceptor to bring it down.

Guam is a US island territory 3,380 kilometres (2,100 miles) southeast of North Korea in the Pacific and is home to 6,000 American military personnel, as well as bases for submarines and strategic bombers.

The new defensive measures came as Pyongyang stopped South Korean staff members from entering the Kaesong complex, a shared industrial zone funded by Seoul but 10 kilometres inside the North.

Pyongyang said the 861 South Koreans already in the zone could leave, but the move cut the last practical cooperation between the rival powers and was seen as a dramatic escalation in the crisis.

South Korea's defence ministry said it had contingency plans that included "military action" if the safety of its citizens in Kaesong was threatened.

China, the North's sole major ally, appealed for "calm" from all sides and Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Igor Morgulov said he was worried that the situation could spiral out of control.

Describing the Kaesong ban as "very regrettable", South Korea's Unification Ministry urged the North to normalise access immediately.

"Otherwise," the ministry warned, "not only will inter-Korean relations be negatively affected but North Korea will invoke greater criticism and isolation from the international community."

It said 33 South Koreans had returned from Kaesong, with hundreds staying on to keep their companies running smoothly.

Around 53,000 North Koreans work at 120 South Korean plants at the complex, which was still operating normally Wednesday.

Tensions have soared on the Korean peninsula since December, when the North test launched a long-range rocket. In February, it upped the ante once again by conducting its third nuclear test.

Washington has deployed nuclear-capable US B-52s, B-2 stealth bombers and two US destroyers to South Korean air and sea space.

This week, the North warned it would reopen its mothballed Yongbyon reactor -- its source of weapons-grade plutonium. The North shut down Yongbyon in July 2007 under a six-nation aid-for-disarmament accord.

Experts say it would take at least six months to get the reactor back up and running, after which it will be able to produce one bomb's worth of weapons-grade plutonium per year.

Admiral Yi

In a statement published by the state KCNA news agency, the Korean People's Army general staff warned Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

"We couldn't find enough TNT to fake a bigger one."  :(

jimmy olsen

More likely to invade and set up a "Korean Autonomous Zone"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

KRonn

This is getting more and more bizarre. Kim Jong Un may be backing himself into a corner, or nearly so. Getting to the point that if he backs down he looks bad, which is the exact opposite of what he was trying to accomplish for himself. So he may wind up having to do something, else face backlash by his cohorts. NK is blustering, threatening - this would seem to be a lot more than they've done before. It may not take much provocation or mistake by either side for this to become a shooting war, or at least a nasty serious of battles. A stark contrast to the direction of Kim's father as he shut down nuclear sites, had some sites visibly and publicly destroyed being shown on TV.

US leaders seem to be alarmed. Sec Defense Hagel expressing more concerns.

Ed Anger

News reporter ratings:

Kyung Lah CNN: I'd cum in her chinky eyes. 4 boners out of 5.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 07:11:33 PM
News reporter ratings:

Can't touch Melissa Lee on CNBC though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2013, 07:23:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 07:11:33 PM
News reporter ratings:

Can't touch Melissa Lee on CNBC though.

I think Cramer is nailin' her.