Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2017, 08:09:00 AM
I think NK will need to be given to China yes. They are not going to go along with US troops right at their doorstep.

They would be fine with South Korean troops on their border though.
It's fear of the Americans that is the problem. And with unified Korea they wouldn't be necessary anymore, they're already unpopular in SK, so...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I don't think its that easy. If SK is a US ally then US troops and missiles can be put on the Korean-Chinese border on short notice whenever Emperor Trump and Emperor Whoever has to escalate things to revitalise support back home. The Chinese would have no similar capability toward the US so they can't let it happen.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2017, 08:43:12 AM
I don't know, Cuba is still right there.

Exactly. Their only possible move to a potential escalation would be to escalate the situation themselves. Way better to just acknowledge that NK is their turf.

Grey Fox

Yes plus South Korean democracy can't adsorb so many backward citizens at the same time. China can more easily control them.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Not without difficulty & East & West Germany were closer in QoL than NK & SK are.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2017, 09:30:53 AM
Not without difficulty & East & West Germany were closer in QoL than NK & SK are.

Which isn't entirely a bad thing.
In the case of East Germany the gap wasn't so large. People still had a decent fairly western quality of life in the east. The FRG had to try and integrate the east into itself, keeping businesses, pensions, etc... Intact.
That the north is so far behind  in Korea they don't need to pay attention to all this. They can pretty much start from scratch.
The north could really do quite well and advance very quickly by following the Chinese path of cheap manufacturing.

The big problem is that whilst the north is being built up the southern constitution says that northerners have the right to live in the south. There could be an exodus of the sort the right can only dream about, which would screw up a lot.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

I know you guys are strategy game players and all, but you know war hasn't actually started yet so it may be a bit premature to determine the post-war fate of North Korea.

Tonitrus

Timmah is probably already working on a post-Trump presidency world map.

At least he better be...before it is too late.  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2017, 12:14:13 PM
I know you guys are strategy game players and all, but you know war hasn't actually started yet so it may be a bit premature to determine the post-war fate of North Korea.

:yes: Any foreign dogs will be consumed by the glorious armed forces of Best Korea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

I doubt anything will come of the current heating up of things.
But still, its an eternal question, what will happen when the Kim dynasty finally goes.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2017, 03:57:14 PM

I doubt anything will come of the current heating up of things.
But still, its an eternal question, what will happen when the Trump dynasty finally goes.

Is is indeed*.

* question posited by intergalactic time traveller.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

A perspective on the N. Korean hate of the US: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-us-war-crime-north-korea-wont-forget/2015/03/20/fb525694-ce80-11e4-8c54-ffb5ba6f2f69_story.html?utm_term=.b3c39f2fefd3

QuoteMuch of it is cooked up daily in Pyongyang. Like all dictatorial regimes, the Kim family dynasty needs an endless existential struggle against a fearsome enemy. Such a threat rationalizes massive military spending and excuses decades of privation, while keeping dissenting mouths shut and political prisons open.

The hate, though, is not all manufactured. It is rooted in a fact-based narrative, one that North Korea obsessively remembers and the United States blithely forgets.

The story dates to the early 1950s, when the U.S. Air Force, in response to the North Korean invasion that started the Korean War, bombed and napalmed cities, towns and villages across the North. It was mostly easy pickings for the Air Force, whose B-29s faced little or no opposition on many missions.

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America's own leaders. "Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population," Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Strategic Air Command during the Korean War, told the Office of Air Force History in 1984. Dean Rusk, a supporter of the war and later secretary of state, said the United States bombed "everything that moved in North Korea, every brick standing on top of another." After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops.

Although the ferocity of the bombing was criticized as racist and unjustified elsewhere in the world, it was never a big story back home. U.S. press coverage of the air war focused, instead, on "MiG alley," a narrow patch of North Korea near the Chinese border. There, in the world's first jet-powered aerial war, American fighter pilots competed against each other to shoot down five or more Soviet-made fighters and become "aces." War reporters rarely mentioned civilian casualties from U.S. carpet-bombing. It is perhaps the most forgotten part of a forgotten war.