Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I'm also surprised Putin hasn't shown his hand much on North Korea. On paper a war in Korea is something Putin probably would like. He has no real invested stake in North Korea, and it would basically consume so much U.S. resources he'd have free reign in his area of current interest which is to the West and South of Russia.

Valmy

On the other hand North Korea does border Russia and would potentially put US troops right on his doorstep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

I doubt that is actually what would happen. China would almost certainly (begrudgingly) take North Korea over as a client state if war broke out and the Kim regime topples, I don't think they'd allow the U.S. to have a military presence in NK like they do in South Korea, and to be honest I'm not sure we'd want one.

Plus, that little sliver of far east Russia probably doesn't weigh heavily on Putin's mind versus the thought of trillions of U.S. dollars blown away in a Korean War II, with huge troop involvements and consequent lack of ability for us to do as much in the Middle East or Eastern Europe (maybe a good time for Putin to push the boundaries more in Ukraine.) Plus we've had troops on Russia's borders for 60 some years if you view the Warsaw Pact as an extension of Russia during the Cold War (which I do), and in a true literal sense with the Baltic states that have joined NATO. And that's in Western Russia which has always been the part its leaders most cared about.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 25, 2017, 10:31:52 AM
I doubt that is actually what would happen. China would almost certainly (begrudgingly) take North Korea over as a client state if war broke out and the Kim regime topples, I don't think they'd allow the U.S. to have a military presence in NK like they do in South Korea, and to be honest I'm not sure we'd want one.

Plus, that little sliver of far east Russia probably doesn't weigh heavily on Putin's mind versus the thought of trillions of U.S. dollars blown away in a Korean War II, with huge troop involvements and consequent lack of ability for us to do as much in the Middle East or Eastern Europe (maybe a good time for Putin to push the boundaries more in Ukraine.) Plus we've had troops on Russia's borders for 60 some years if you view the Warsaw Pact as an extension of Russia during the Cold War (which I do), and in a true literal sense with the Baltic states that have joined NATO. And that's in Western Russia which has always been the part its leaders most cared about.

If the Kim regime actually topples, I'm pretty sure China would prefer for ROK to take over and pay the trillions of dollars to rebuild than for China to do so itself.  Presumably a quid pro quo could be negotiated where China acquiesces in exchange for a US withdrawal of troops.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

I think China would only be okay with reunification if U.S. troops left the peninsula, so I guess we're in agreement. I'm not sure we'd agree to leave, but maybe South Korea would want us to, in which case we'd likely leave.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

If the Kim regime actually topples, I'm pretty sure China would prefer for ROK to take over and pay the trillions of dollars to rebuild than for China to do so itself.  Presumably a quid pro quo could be negotiated where China acquiesces in exchange for a US withdrawal of troops.

I think China would be fine with propping up another tinpot and not put any money in.  Better a basket case NK then a unified and potentially more powerful Korea.

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on April 25, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

I think China would be fine with propping up another tinpot and not put any money in.  Better a basket case NK then a unified and potentially more powerful Korea.

That's what they're doing already.  But what about the case of a North Korean collapse.  In that case there's no tin pot dictator to prop up, unless the Chinese go in and install one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2017, 11:00:56 AM

That's what they're doing already.  But what about the case of a North Korean collapse.  In that case there's no tin pot dictator to prop up, unless the Chinese go in and install one.

I'm saying they would go in and install a new one, maybe make some token investment or changes but not anything substantial.

alfred russel

A reunified Korea would likely not be so stable. Apart from many other problems, who can know how 25 million North Korean citizens would vote in a democracy?

I would think a reunified Korea would want US troops considering its long border with China, Chinese interests in the region, and some expected reunification pains and instability.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

I think NK turned into a Chinese client state by Chinese military action is by far the best scenario.

It would spare a US military action and possible escalation with China, it would spare South Korea from having to wreck its own economy trying to lift NK into, IDK, 1960s levels of standard of living, and the Chinese and US oligarchs could surely use a new influx of wage slaves toiling away for pennies.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on April 25, 2017, 09:30:12 AM
I think if China really wanted Kim out he would be gone already.  Trying to bluff China into doing something isn't going to get anywhere.  Why should they act when they could call our bluff and we either look like fools or blunder into an unnecessary and dumb war that is likely to devastate one of their local rivals (SK).

NK is a trap that China has set for anybody who is stupid enough to do something about them.

If China thinks Kim costs them to much, he will be gone tomorrow.  The argument that, because they've never toppled him in the past, they will never topple him in the future isn't logically tenable.

NK is a trap China wants badly to get out of.  They were stupid enough to get into the trap, but might be smart enough to get out of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I think the assumption that Kim lives at the discretion of China is misplaced.  Barring a military invasion there is no sure way for China to effect a regime change.  Simply embargoing NK is unlikely to bring the country to its knees.  There was no uprising or coup during the famine in the 1990's, why should we expect one now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2017, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2017, 07:20:51 PM
Tim better have a bug out bag ready.

Dumbass has it filled with anime DVDs and stupid cosplay kitten ears.

Still better than Meri's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on April 25, 2017, 09:30:12 AM
NK is a trap that China has set for anybody who is stupid enough to do something about them.

Exactly. The Chinese have supported, and continue to support, the Nork regime with purpose:  they have either winked or outright cockblocked international efforts; they have invested in Nork infrastructure to maintain its government, and they have their fingerprints all over its economy.

China is not going to tolerate any other form of government on the Yalu, and a change of regime short of a family ascension would result in a shit ton of Nork refugees flooding into a province the Chinese do not want them to flood.  The Chinese can handle a slowly disintegrating North over the course of years, it cannot handle one that collapses in a matter of weeks or months.

And there's no way in holy hell they're going to allow the US, either unilaterally or in conjunction with the ROK, to engage in regime change by force in a nation on their immediate border.  They sent 3 million screaming chinamen over the Yalu once, they would do it again.  If Taiwan is #1 on the Chinese strategic interests list, North Korea is #1a. This is more than sphere of influence bullshit, this is about direct Chinese territorial integrity. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 25, 2017, 10:31:52 AM

I think they'd move south to the neck of the penninsula and prop up a rump state.

They don't want the ROK bordering China proper, US troops or no US troops.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point