Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Let's see...inviting the UN Security Council ambassadors to the White House today, again with the "it's a problem we have to solve" terminal language.
Pence cutting his Pacific trip short. 
All Senators to the White House on Wednesday.

You know, for an ignorant and illiterate buffoon bully that likes to be "unpredictable," he's being pretty predictable to the point of enabling.  Hopefully we'll all be around for t-shirts that say "KIM SHOT FIRST"

Admiral Yi

HVC

well at least this time there really are weapons of mass destruction. no oil though. But I guess no blood for coal works just as well for a slogan for a decades long war.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I just finished reading a book on the Imjin War. First time I've read any details about it. Korea seems to be a horribly unfriendly place for civilizers from across the sea. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on April 24, 2017, 03:38:10 PM
I just finished reading a book on the Imjin War. First time I've read any details about it. Korea seems to be a horribly unfriendly place for civilizers from across the sea. :(

So why did Timmay go there?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 03:46:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 24, 2017, 03:38:10 PM

So why did Timmay go there?

Since when was Timmay a civilizer?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2017, 03:17:05 PM
Let's see...inviting the UN Security Council ambassadors to the White House today, again with the "it's a problem we have to solve" terminal language.

You know, for an ignorant and illiterate buffoon bully that likes to be "unpredictable," he's being pretty predictable to the point of enabling.  Hopefully we'll all be around for t-shirts that say "KIM SHOT FIRST"

It's all a bluff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2017, 04:16:47 PMIt's all a bluff.

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance that is the case... but maybe not.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2017, 04:16:47 PM

It's all a bluff.

Which are you happier with it being?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2017, 04:19:03 PM

What's the hoped for endgame on a bluff?  NK gives up its nukes?  That doesn't seem likely, it's the only reason they are remotely considered a threat.  Take that away and they are just another craphole.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 04:24:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2017, 04:16:47 PM

It's all a bluff.

Which are you happier with it being?

If it works, I suppose bluff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2017, 04:19:03 PM

As usual, there isn't much currency being placed on how bluffing belligerence is coming out the other side, or to what degree the White House is misreading what the PRC is telegraphing about the crisis.  But hey, we didn't listen to what Zhou Enlai was trying to say the last time, either.

Shame.  I wonder if a fully stocked Department of State with veterans in diplomacy and international crises would be able to mitigate things.  Oh wait, they're too busy advertising for Mar-a-Lago and hiring Fox & Friends.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2017, 02:38:37 PM
Huh. When was the last time that happened? I mean Presidents tend to go to Congress to address them, not invite Congress to the White House.

It sounds really, really bad to me.

I think you would only do that if you were favoring doing something, and were aware of how bad the fall out could be, but were willing to take the hit anyway. It surprises me that Trump is that self aware, but it's the only thing that I can see that would explain it.

A war with N. Korea would lead to 5-10,000 American soldiers KIA, and thousands of American civilian casualties. It would kill tens of thousands of South Korean soldiers, and perhaps hundreds of thousands of South Korean and even Japanese civilians.  It would tank the world economy. It has the potential of escalating to war with China. You only call the senate in like this if you're going to sell the need to act anyway in spite of this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Well, with Trump I think he'd call the Senate to the White House rather than go to the Senate pretty much on principle, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I also think that there's a decent chance that it's a bluff on Trump's part - bullying bluster is his style after all, so if he can make people think he's seriously considering war then he may be doing that in the hope he makes NK... uh... yeah... that's the thing... what's he trying to accomplish? Make them "give up nuclear weapons"? I don't think that's going to happen short of actual invading so I don't know.

HVC

Would it be better to get it over sooner rather than later? Every year they build shinnier toys.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.