Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2017, 12:37:36 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2017, 10:03:42 PM
If north Korea does something dumb and China sends in troops would they give it up once it's over?

I mean the eternal ambition to conquer Korea.  Never heard of it.  Don't think it exists.

didn't china invade korea in the 1600's? or am I misremembering?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

If north Korea does something dumb and China sends in troops would they give it up once it's over?

I mean the eternal ambition to conquer Korea.  Never heard of it.  Don't think it exists.

China has traditionally considered Korea in its sphere of influence and has certainly conquered portions of it and dominated most of it for long periods.  As wikipedia notes:
QuoteSino-Korean War may refer to:
Gojoseon–Yan War (late 4th century BC)
Wiman Joseon–Han War (109–108 BC)
Goguryeo–Wei War (224–245)
Goguryeo–Sui War (598–614)
Goguryeo–Tang War (645–668)
Baekje–Tang War (660–663)
Silla–Tang War (670–676)

Following the Illa-tang War, Korean Silla was tributary to the Tang, and subsequent states were mostly at least nominally under Chinese suzerainty until the Japanese invasions in the late 19th Century.

So, yeah, it exists. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2017, 01:30:06 AM
I don't think China wants more poor non han people.

They may not want more poor monkeymen on their border, but they certainly do not want a "free" North Korea, either.  A unified peninsula under the ROK, or something similar, is unacceptable.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2017, 08:58:07 AM

They may not want more poor monkeymen on their border, but they certainly do not want a "free" North Korea, either.  A unified peninsula under the ROK, or something similar, is unacceptable.

Yeah, South Korea as it is a economic rival, political rival, and military threat to China. A unified Korea would just make that worse in the long run.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on April 12, 2017, 08:27:29 AM
didn't china invade korea in the 1600's? or am I misremembering?

In 1592 Hideyoshi sailed the ocean blue
and invaded Korea from Japan.

China sent troops to defend their vassal.

CountDeMoney

Speaking of those whacky Koreans, anybody see that recent movie on Netflix about Admiral Yi and his historic defeat of #3 Michigan in one of the greatest upsets of all time?

Josquius

China would actually be quite fine with that. They far prefer SK to NK.
The trouble is they fear America won't leave once Korea is united.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2017, 12:45:38 PM

Stop freebasing beets.

Razgovory

I think Ide went on about it quite a lot back in the day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Maybe that's the deal The Donald cut with The Xi.

Monoriu

Even in late Qing, Korea was considered a Chinese vassal. 

Habbaku

Uhh...

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3032113

QuoteKim Jong-un orders 600,000 out of Pyongyang
Apr 12,2017
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un recently ordered the deportation of nearly 600,000 Pyongyang residents to the suburbs, a local source told the JoongAng Ilbo Monday.

The deportation represents one-fourth of Pyongyang's current population of 2.6 million. It is not known when they will be forced to move or to where.

"Population control was the pretext of the latest order," said the source, who asked for anonymity, "but in reality, the purpose is to 'purify' the North Korean capital and allow only the loyal elite class to live there."

Among those who were chosen by authorities to move are people whose relatives defected to South Korea, had been jailed in a prison camp, used drugs or counterfeit money, and produced, distributed or sold pirated films from the South.

Those who were caught selling other illegally imported goods in a jangmadang, or North Korean black market, were excluded because such cases have become so prevalent that it is no longer considered a serious crime, the source said.

The State Security Department and People's Safety Agency are screening the candidates.

A South Korean government official said the North has sporadically kicked a few dissidents out of the capital in the past, but never a group as large as this.

Kim's order comes as the leader is spending most of the country's resources in modernizing districts in the capital. In 2012, shortly after he rose to power, Kim constructed Changjon Street, a high-rise apartment complex.

The following year, he completed Eunha Scientist Street, a residential complex for scientists and technologists who contributed to the country's nuclear and missile development program.

The latest Ryomyong Street, home to a 70-story apartment tower, is scheduled to be completed Saturday in time for the 105th birthday anniversary of late founder Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong-un's grandfather.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

No, they do not want a strong unified Korea on their border.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Valmy

Hey if they want to move in and make NK their puppet it would be vastly preferable to the current situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

That would be a rather cunning move by the ChiComs.  Just decapitate the Kim dynasty, and transform NK into "PRC-lite", with their bandit commi-capitalism.