News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 07, 2017, 09:04:36 PM
One of the most shocking moments I had in Canada was when I was issued a driver's licence.  The clerk asked me, "what was your mother's last name before she got married?"  This was my internal monologue:

So these Canadians regard my mother's maiden name as some sort of password, semi-secret that few people know.  Why?  Oh I remember.  Because their women adopt their husband's name when they get married.  Yeah.  Gender equality, land of the free, and all that.

This tradition predates the time we decided Gender equality was considered something important :P

I am sure our barbarous ways seem backwards and quaint. I just think it is important that everybody in nuclear family have the same last name (well ok important for my nuclear family, it is not like I demand it of everybody else). So I was all ready to take my wife's name but in the event she did not like her last name because she only shared it with her estranged father so she took mine. So my main thing is SOMEBODY changes their last name.

But even if done traditionally it is not like a maiden name is some kind of secret information, a woman traditionally keeps it as her middle name and also gives it to her first born son as his middle name. Like Franklin Delano Roosevelt's mother was Sara Ann Delano.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on April 07, 2017, 09:04:36 PM
One of the most shocking moments I had in Canada was when I was issued a driver's licence.  The clerk asked me, "what was your mother's last name before she got married?"  This was my internal monologue:

So these Canadians regard my mother's maiden name as some sort of password, semi-secret that few people know.  Why?  Oh I remember.  Because their women adopt their husband's name when they get married.  Yeah.  Gender equality, land of the free, and all that.

I'd slap Mono but he's too far away and I don't want to come in contact with his oily skin.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2017, 12:56:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AMI just think it is important that everybody in nuclear family have the same last name.

Why?

So the postman gets all the right mail into the same box. Duh.

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AMI just think it is important that everybody in nuclear family have the same last name.

Why?

Because that is the family name. So we are the Smith Family or whatever. The name in my family should be a source of shared identity and should represent a family culture.

Otherwise it becomes a litany. For some people that is fine, but is counter to what I wanted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

CountDeMoney

I can appreciate keeping the family name, but using suffixes has often caused more problems than it's worth.   :lol:

I mean, thanks for giving me your name, Dad, but just tacking on a suffix at the end was just being lazy.  Didn't think about all the paperwork fuck ups later on, were we?  WHY IS A BOAT TRAILER ON MY AUTO INSURANCE THATS MY DAD DAMMIT

Valmy

I named him after my dad not me, so unlikely to cause problems :P

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2017, 01:00:33 PM

Why?

Because that is the family name. So we are the Smith Family or whatever. The name in my family should be a source of shared identity and should represent a family culture.

Otherwise it becomes a litany. For some people that is fine, but is counter to what I wanted.

Shared identity? Family culture? You think you're a noble dinasty or what?

dps

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2017, 02:48:29 PM

Why?

Nah, despite the "practically French" bit in his signature, he's an American, so like any other American he's not a noble, just superior to foreigners, even those who actually are nobles.

The Brain

Why?

:yes: He's gonna beat Dallas some week.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Why?

The Valmy Da'Nasty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

No more than I think I am a moose on a pogostick or a subterranean moleman. :huh: