Tilda Swinton Is Sleeping In A Box At MoMA This Year

Started by garbon, March 25, 2013, 01:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I know I'm not supposed to post from the gothamist...but this was too good. :P

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/23/photos_tilda_swinton_is_sleeping_in.php

QuoteAs if starring in David Bowie music videos wasn't already the coolest, Tilda Swinton has currently taken up residency sleeping at MoMA. It's part of an unannounced, surprise performance piece called "The Maybe" that will be taking place on random days all month year (see updated details below—update, Monday, 3/25: she's back at the MoMA). A MoMA source told us, "Museum staff doesn't know she's coming until the day of, but she's here today. She'll be there the whole day. All that's in the box is cushions and a water jug."

"Tilda Swinton will be doing unannounced, random performance art pieces sleeping in a glass box in the museum," the source added. "Today is the first performance. Each performance lasts the whole day the museum is open." Swinton and her box are located near the ticket collectors today, but the box may be in different locations at other performances.

"The Maybe" was first performed in London in 1995 at the Serpentine Gallery; Swinton conceived the performance piece, and asked artist Cornelia Parker to collaborate on the installation. Swinton later re-performed the piece in the Museo Barracco in Rome. Here's what the museum has to say about the piece:

QuoteAn integral part of The Maybe's incarnation at MoMA in 2013 is that there is no published schedule for its appearance, no artist's statement released, no no museum statement beyond this brief context, no public profile or image issued. Those who find it chance upon it for themselves, live and in real—shared—time: now we see it, now we don't.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

I am glad that she specified "living" in the list of materials.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I'd still do her.  She's classified under my "Hmm, I can't figure it out but for some reason, I'd fuck her" category.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2013, 04:34:25 PM
I'd still do her.  She's classified under my "Hmm, I can't figure it out but for some reason, I'd fuck her" category.

Good point  :hmm: !

But, enough of this objectifying........

Admiral Yi

Did you see "The Amazing Story of That Dude Who's Name I Forgot Who Was Born Old and Got Younger," starring Brad Pitt?

He had the exact same reaction to her.  I do too.  Felt it the Narnia movie.

This art work is rubbish though.

fhdz

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2013, 04:36:33 PM

Good point  :hmm: !

But, enough of this objectifying........

She is an object! It says right there on the placard - "living artist". Between her and "spectacles", who's to say which is the more objectified object?
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 04:37:25 PM
Felt it the Narnia movie.

Yeah, I'd have given her some Turkish Delight.  Naughty, naughty ice queen.

The really weird one was the tingles in my No Touch Spot during Constantine, though.  Androgynous archangel? WTF? That's some twisted Catholic stuff right there.

QuoteThis art work is rubbish though.

Ahhhyup.

Syt

I'm shocked that you'd go for an androgynous/boyish woman.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 25, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

I'm shocked that you'd go for an androgynous/boyish woman.

Yeah, you figure that type is more likely to put up a fight.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

DGuller

:yes: I'd look for a more private place first, though.

Caliga

:yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I wonder how often they have to clean her aquarium. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017