And we're back!

Main Menu

What's Wrong With the Term 'Person of Color'

Started by garbon, March 22, 2013, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2013, 09:01:29 AM
Its not wrong wrong is it?
Its just one of those silly things old people say, just wrong, not offensive.

Actually it is the new thing.  A couple years ago we were told that we are no longer supposed to use 'African-American' and now 'people of color' was the new PC term (though 'people of color' seems to cover all non-white people but I am not down on my terminology so I could be wrong).  I think you are thinking of 'colored people' which was in vogue back in the 20th century sometime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2013, 09:13:48 AM
I think you are thinking of 'colored people' which was in vogue back in the 20th century sometime.

lol, yeah, like 1963.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2013, 09:14:38 AM
lol, yeah, like 1963.

Well the NAACP was founded waaaay back in 1900 or so.  I was not sure when exactly that was the in style phrase.  By 1963 it was a little archaic though right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

QuoteThe term colored appeared in North America during the colonial era. In 1851 an article in the New York Times referred to the "colored population". In 1863, the War Department established the Bureau of Colored Troops. The first 12 Census counts in the U.S. enumerated '"colored" people, who totaled nine million in 1900. The Census counts of 1910–1960 enumerated "negroes."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Ok then.  19th-20th century.  Whatevs.  The point is the new term is not the old term.  'People of Color' is the new PC term unless it has been replaced and I was not informed.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2013, 09:21:54 AM
Ok then.  19th-20th century.  Whatevs.  The point is the new term is not the old term.  'People of Color' is the new PC term unless it has been replaced and I was not informed.

Oh I wasn't trying to contradict you. I agree. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Colored was in until around 1960.

Then it was black, which was in until around 1980.

Then it was African-American.

Around 2000 it split into black, African-American, and person of color.

CountDeMoney

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 09:22:38 AM
Colored was in until around 1960.

Then it was black, which was in until around 1980.

Then it was African-American.

Around 2000 it split into black, African-American, and person of color.
I think there was a brief Afro-American phase prior to African-American.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on March 22, 2013, 09:28:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2013, 09:25:32 AM
When did "boy" go into use?

A lot of times during traffic stops.

Absolutely no reason to raise the threat level in that situation, no sir.

Valmy

Quote1) US/Western imperialism is so widespread that it even imposes its ways of doing racism on the rest of the world, and on people of color.  For example, my family is upper caste, and that caste position is partly what enabled our immigration to the US.  It also means that we're lighter-skinned South Asians (read: closer to Aryan British colonizers).  Using the term 'POC' as my identifier rather than 'South Asian' or 'Desi' means  I never unpack these non-Western racial systems that are also at play

'Is' so widespread...as in still widespread?  I have certainly heard the, rather controversial, idea the British tightened and formalized the Caste system but I never heard they assigned people their caste based on skin color.  And how would one 'unpack' a non-Western racial system that may or may not be also at play?

Brazen

Aren't we all people of colour? Mine just happens to be pale bluey-pink.

Under South African apartheid, there were four population groups: Black, White, Indian, and Coloured (capitalised), with the Coloured group including people regarded as being of mixed descent.

Admiral Yi

I thought in South Africa Coloured included both mixed race and Indian. :nerd: