Main Menu

Phone Advice

Started by Arvoreen, March 20, 2013, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 11, 2013, 09:27:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2013, 06:36:26 PM
I just deposited a check with my phone.
Meh.  It's a nifty gimmick, but the checks take long as balls to clear.  I'll stick to my after-hours ATM deposits at the bank, thanks.  First hundred immediately, rest usually clears the next day.

Mine are clear the next day. Get a better bank.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Eh, I just went ahead and rooted the thing. Go me!
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Quote from: fhdz on August 12, 2013, 05:58:38 PM
Eh, I just went ahead and rooted the thing. Go me!
Good. Now you have more power.

sbr

I finally shit canned my broken, crappy HTC Thunderbolt and got a Galaxy S3.  Not the newest phone,  but it is perfect for what I was looking for.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2013, 10:32:44 AM
Depends what bank. My bank USAA immediately make funds available after I take a picture of the check with my phone.

:mad:  They don't allow me to do this.  Apparently, because I live in the same place they are located, I can drive to one of their two ATMs.  :mad:

Caliga

My company is dumping Blackberry (GOOD) and replacing our BBs with.... iPhone 5c units (BAD).

Guess I'll still be carrying two smartphones. :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I really don't get the purpose of 5c.  The price difference isn't really that big when you consider the entire price of the phone, and what you get is a much inferior product.

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2013, 04:41:06 PM
I really don't get the purpose of 5c.  The price difference isn't really that big when you consider the entire price of the phone, and what you get is a much inferior product.
Apple is buying time with marketing gimmicks in lieu of expensive/risky product change. The gold iPhone 5s seems to be quite the success.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on October 22, 2013, 07:47:53 PM
Apple is buying time with marketing gimmicks in lieu of expensive/risky product change. The gold iPhone 5s seems to be quite the success.
I definitely get 5s, that's a much superior phone to 5.  I just don't get the purpose of 5c.  It really doesn't work as a budget phone, and it doesn't work as a top-of-the-line phone.

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM
I definitely get 5s, that's a much superior phone to 5.  I just don't get the purpose of 5c.  It really doesn't work as a budget phone, and it doesn't work as a top-of-the-line phone.

5c is supposed to be the 5 with a color refresh, just to fill the same space that Apple used to keep last year's model in.

garbon

I don't know. I mean if you look at these top 5 reasons, none of them seems like good enough reasons to upgrade if you already had a 5.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-5s-release-5-reasons-why-its-worth-price-upgrade-1415386
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 09:55:15 AM

I don't know. I mean if you look at these top 5 reasons, none of them seems like good enough reasons to upgrade if you already had a 5.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-5s-release-5-reasons-why-its-worth-price-upgrade-1415386
I didn't say it was superior enough to be worth upgrading from one version earlier, but it is superior.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 10, 2013, 01:08:32 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2013, 10:32:44 AM
Depends what bank. My bank USAA immediately make funds available after I take a picture of the check with my phone.

:mad:  They don't allow me to do this.  Apparently, because I live in the same place they are located, I can drive to one of their two ATMs.  :mad:

I've been thinking about making Navy FCU a secondary bank to USAA...I've heard lots of good things about their loan rates/customer service...and they seem to be everywhere.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 26, 2013, 05:57:51 PM
I've been thinking about making Navy FCU a secondary bank to USAA...I've heard lots of good things about their loan rates/customer service...and they seem to be everywhere.

They do seem to be all over the place, but that's about all I know about them.   They showed up during boot camp, actually, but back when I was in, I opened a free account with Compass Bank for the times when I would need to deposit a check, but that was before all this remote deposit stuff.  I still have that thing with like $3 in it.  Heh.

Side note: USAA allows me to deposit checks with my phone now, so that's nice of them. 

E: Oh and re: phones:  Nokia/Microsoft is releasing a monster Windows phone: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/nokia-lumia-1520/?ncid=rss_truncated

Syt

My mobile contract is up for renewal. I'll stay with T-Mobile. And I'll switch to a Samsung S4 (currently have the Nokia E7-00).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.