News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phone Advice

Started by Arvoreen, March 20, 2013, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on July 26, 2013, 12:50:45 PM
as it was always over-complicated and under-baked, and it seems like if anything it's getting worse in that regard. 

:huh: Yeah, no.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

I'm really leaning towards moving to iPhone.  I never really warmed up to Android, as it was always over-complicated and under-baked, and it seems like if anything it's getting worse in that regard. 

The only hitch is that it seems like that 5S will be coming out this year, in which case getting an outdated i5 would be silly.  Is anyone here an Apple watcher?  How probably is the September release of 5S?

Probability is 99%.  Or more likely, 99.9%.

At this point, if you can wait till September, that would be the smart call.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 26, 2013, 11:32:57 AM
:o

Work gives me a Blackberry.  I can't fathom paying $100/month when work gives me a crappy but adequate substitute.

Mind you my work contract expires next year, and iPhone is now an option... :shifty:

Liep

I'm really leaning towards moving to iPhone.  I never really warmed up to Android, as it was always over-complicated and under-baked, and it seems like if anything it's getting worse in that regard. 

The only hitch is that it seems like that 5S will be coming out this year, in which case getting an outdated i5 would be silly.  Is anyone here an Apple watcher?  How probably is the September release of 5S?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

Also, be sure to check out iOS7 and see if you also like that, it'll probably be out with 5S.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2013, 12:56:51 PM

Work gives me a Blackberry.  I can't fathom paying $100/month when work gives me a crappy but adequate substitute.

It's a shame about RIM. They're actually starting to do some neat things...but it may be too late.

Barrister

Quote from: fhdz on July 26, 2013, 01:18:58 PM

It's a shame about RIM. They're actually starting to do some neat things...but it may be too late.

RIM's dead, man.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2013, 01:20:45 PM

RIM's dead, man.

Yeah, I think so too. They're going the way of Palm :(

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on July 26, 2013, 12:53:27 PM
as it was always over-complicated and under-baked, and it seems like if anything it's getting worse in that regard. 

:huh: Yeah, no.
Well, the last time I tried to update my Android OS (to Jelly Bean, I think), my phone wouldn't start up after the upgrade finished.  Basically, it gave a fatal error message that made it totally non-functional.  It was a day before the exam, I was in a hotel room.  Talk about a time when you need your phone the most, and have the least time and resources to dick around with it.

Luckily I had my iPad with me, and the hotel had wi-fi, so I could get on the Internet and find out that it was a very common problem for my phone with that particular OS upgrade.   :wacko:  Eventually I found a fix that worked, but it involved wiping my phone.  I couldn't even back it up, because the error message wouldn't go away for more than 5 seconds, but that was moot without computer and a USB cable nearby in any case.

So, yes, after getting fucked by Android at something so basic as having your phone work, I'm not going to award it fully-baked status just yet.

Barrister

Quote from: fhdz on July 26, 2013, 01:26:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2013, 01:20:45 PM

RIM's dead, man.

Yeah, I think so too. They're going the way of Palm :(

Thinking has nothing to do with it, son.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/01/rim-renamed-blackberry/

Phillip V

I only use Android phones, but I own stock in Apple.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2013, 06:36:26 PM
I just deposited a check with my phone.
Meh.  It's a nifty gimmick, but the checks take long as balls to clear.  I'll stick to my after-hours ATM deposits at the bank, thanks.  First hundred immediately, rest usually clears the next day.
Experience bij!

Phillip V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 11, 2013, 09:27:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2013, 06:36:26 PM
I just deposited a check with my phone.
Meh.  It's a nifty gimmick, but the checks take long as balls to clear.  I'll stick to my after-hours ATM deposits at the bank, thanks.  First hundred immediately, rest usually clears the next day.
Depends what bank. My bank USAA immediately make funds available after I take a picture of the check with my phone.

fhdz

I'm thinking of rooting my Sprint Galaxy Note II today. I'd really like to use Tasker to automate the shit out of this thing. I found a pretty good video tutorial, but have never rooted a phone before. I'm not intending to use a custom ROM but want to remove all the crapware from my phone and get Tasker up to its full potential.

Any advice?