News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phone Advice

Started by Arvoreen, March 20, 2013, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

It's not Android, it's whatever version of Sense they have on this phone that totally sucks and "glitches" out like that.  I've already rooted my One X+ because of all the software problems it was having.  It's generally fine now, although none of the ROMs I was able to find totally did away with Sense, so I'll be doing it again as soon as I find one.

I should have just kept the Optimus G, broken glass on the back and all.  For all the shit LG apparently gets due to their software update issues, I didn't have any problems with it at all, at least in the basic functionality "department," unlike the One X+.  It was bad enough that I was seriously considering buying a phone off contract from AT&T, horrific prices and all, if the rooting+ROM thing didn't work well enough.  Not having a fucked up phone is worth $5 or 600 or even more if necessary.  I'd get a Nexus, but the lack of 4G LTE would probably bug me too much.

E: One of my favorite issues with this phone was when my alarm clock would just snooze itself indefinitely (without going off in the first place).  The first time, I let it go just to see, but after 15 hours I figured it wasn't ever going to un-fuck itself.  If you use the alarm clock for anything important, just be aware that this could happen.

E2:  The stuff where it doesn't save settings, I remember mine doing that too, and it was infuriating sometimes.  It also wouldn't save software preferences, which was really noticeable for things like navigation, which I use a lot for work.  Every single goddamn time it would ask me which program I wanted to use for that action, even though every single goddamn time I would check that "do this every time," or whatever it says exactly, box.

Berkut

I am going to pick up the S4 once it is out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I'm eligible for an upgrade now.... reading reviews it looks like it's between the HTC One and Galaxy S4 at the moment.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

I don't know anything about the HTC One. What have you seen so far?

0 rows returned

Caliga

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

I have Google Now on my tablet (which I'm not on atm) and it knows I'm interested in this so it keeps suggesting articles about it... I'll see if there's anything else in the history if I remember later.

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2013, 08:43:22 PM
I am going to pick up the S4 once it is out.
Not sure what carrier you have but just checked, and the Galaxy S4 is gonna cost $200 from AT&T with 2 year contract.

On AT&T website, there's a 'pre-order' button now but if you click it it doesn't show that phone available to order on the next page. :hmm:

Berkut

I have Verizon, so for some reason it isn't going to be available until the end of May.

0 rows returned

Caliga

Ok, as of now you can start pre-ordering the Galaxy S4 from AT&T if you live in "certain geographical areas".  Since Kentucky is OSSUM I'm eligible to order now if I want to. :cool:

Caliga

So I was all set to order a Galaxy S4 and then noticed that AT&T charges a $36 'upgrade fee' per device. :rolleyes:

Gotta figure out a way to get out of paying that. :hmm:

Phillip V

Expect more crap like that. Carriers lose money on subsidizing upgrades, so they want customers to keep old smartphones longer while still paying inflated monthly bills.

Arvoreen

Starting today, AT&T is also offering a $100 trade in program if you trade in your old smart phone.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24128&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36372&mapcode=consumer%7Cwireless

Caliga

Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Hmm... I have a custom ROM hack on my phone... wonder if they'll still take it. :ph34r:

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2013, 06:46:36 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Hmm... I have a custom ROM hack on my phone... wonder if they'll still take it. :ph34r:

They'll wipe it; won't matter.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga