News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A fun little SR-71 story

Started by grumbler, March 20, 2013, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The Canuck did an amazing job of what it did:  Flying around and not actually shooting anything down.  Compare that to the Su-15.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2013, 07:34:00 PM
The Canuck did an amazing job of what it did:  Flying around and not actually shooting anything down.  Compare that to the Su-15.
:lol: Touche.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Some of those American interceptors weren't much good either.  Like the Starfighter, which had a nasty tendency to kill Germans.  Which would be good during WWII, not the Cold War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I loved the Starfighter. Even had a model kit and obsessed over it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2013, 08:55:38 PM

Just remember to not eject from the early models on takeoff.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 21, 2013, 08:57:39 PM

Just remember to not eject from the early models on takeoff.

It burned on the runway. There was a tragic pouring of model glue and a lit match thrown on it. Damn jap sabotage.

Barrister

That is such a great story I'm 100% positive it was posted on languish before.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Couple of my favs has always been the F-5 and the Mirage III
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2013, 09:00:26 PM
That is such a great story I'm 100% positive it was posted on languish before.

I know. My model stories are fantastic.

Viking

I actually had a model starfighter in luftwaffe colours... my dog ate it. The whole process seemed highly appropriate.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Bet you could stab someone with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

When I was a kid, most of my modelling were aircraft carriers, but as far as airframes went, I'd grab ever F4 Phantom package I could find in any scale.  Yes, even the Kraut ICE version.

Although my room's pride and joy was a monster 1/48 scale Revell kit of a Rockwell B-1 Bomber before it went into production.  Hung it from the ceiling, it was too big to put anywhere.
Actually, it turned out being my Dad's pride and joy, as it was so maddening to put together, he assumed assembly duties personally.  :lol:

Ed Anger

I loved Battleships. The South Dakota was my pride and joy. Except for the heavy use of glue on the aft turrets.  :blush:

The Graf Spee ended up burning in a kiddie pool in the backyard. Damn Limeys.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2013, 09:14:03 PM

When I was a kid, most of my modelling were aircraft carriers, but as far as airframes went, I'd grab ever F4 Phantom package I could find in any scale.  Yes, even the Kraut ICE version.

Although my room's pride and joy was a monster 1/48 scale Revell kit of a Rockwell B-1 Bomber before it went into production.  Hung it from the ceiling, it was too big to put anywhere.
Actually, it turned out being my Dad's pride and joy, as it was so maddening to put together, he assumed assembly duties personally.  :lol:

Yeah those era kits especially the Brit and American companies were often not that well made, I guess in part because of the stiff developing injection moulding technology.   

Much modern stuff, even from the mass market companies, goes together rather well.  You can get a 1/24th Mosquito from Airfix for a decent price:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/galleries/mosquito24js_1.htm

Yeah I also made a Starfighter, I think it was a revell.

And I also had an concept rock album about the german Starfighter scandal, I kid you not.   :cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

:punk: Mosquito Mosquito AWESOME AIRCRAFT. Looks good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".