A fun little SR-71 story

Started by grumbler, March 20, 2013, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 09:59:44 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2013, 09:29:45 AM
:lol:  Good stuff.

when I was a pre-teen in the early 80s the SR-71 was my favorite military jet-- until I realized it carried no armament.

That's one of the reasons I lost interest in the Mosquito.

Well there was an armed version of it, YF-12, not sure if it ever entered service. 
Plus there was the prototype blackbird/s with the still faster recon drone mounted piggyback. 

As for the Mosquito, not sure lack of armament is a 'valid' criticism as probably the majority were armed, some rather heavily so. And often it makes sense that reconnaissance planes are unarmed.

Armed "version" and armed "version". The YF-12 lost the competition for the next generation Air Force fighter to what became the F-15 due to maintenence and reliability issues iirc. An american Foxbat with less payload, higher speed, higher altitude, massively longer pre-flight prep and the tendency to get jet fuel on everything nearby just didnt' seem relevant in a world where the soviets weren't even thinking about nuking american cities with deep penetrating long range bombers armed with cruise missiles. The soviets were however planning on using cruise missiles launched from long range bombers to attack carrier groups, consequently the American Foxbat was the F-14.

Re: the Mosquito and it's successor the Canberra (the mosquitos post war jet engined replacement) they were multi role multi engine fighter/bombers. They played every single combat role except torpedo launching and strategic bombing. The Mosquito is not an example of how a scout/recon plane can be adapted to other roles. It is an example of an exceptional design and production plan that managed to fill every single niche that didn't already have a plane specifically designed for the role as well as being able to perform competently in most roles when and where it was required. This was especially useful since it didn't consume any strategic resources apart from the merlin engines it used. The canadian ones used an american built merlin version iirc so those didn't used anything of real consequence in terms of material. It's brilliance lay in it's versatility both in being able to make up the numbers in roles which were already underequipped and filling new unplanned for roles (like pathfinding and strategic recon).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

FunkMonk

:lmfao:

Super story and brightened up my day. Thanks grumbles.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on March 20, 2013, 10:27:02 AM
Yeah, just look at what the SR-71 pilot in the OP said:  "Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral."  Though it seems flying one gives you about the best views you'll ever see without actually becoming an astronaut.

QuoteRipping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border.

That says it all right there.  Operationally, it must've been an absolute spoogefest back in the day, flying over Soviet airspace at the edge of space with all those fantastic surveillance bells and whistles.  More starship than aircraft.  Probably a different kind of fun than dropping CAS ordnance with an A-6 Intruder, but complete fun nonetheless.

QuoteFor fun flying, I'd think the best bets would be the last generation of piston-engined fighters.  They used technology that had been around long enough that it was reasonably reliable, and were probably easier to fly for the most part than earlier fighters, yet the pilots were still in control and not overwhelmed by the techology, plus they were capable of pretty high performance.  Though I guess some of the last open-cockpit biplanes would get close to that--nowhere near the top speed, but manouverable, and you'd get that wind-in-your-face thing going for you.

Couple years ago, I took my Dad down to a place outside Front Royal, Virginia that offered rides in a Texan trainer, with as much acrobatics as you were willing to take.  Even got a cockpit video recording of the entire flight.   He had a total blast.  Looked like Snoopy in that flyer's cap.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on March 20, 2013, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 09:59:44 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2013, 09:29:45 AM
:lol:  Good stuff.

when I was a pre-teen in the early 80s the SR-71 was my favorite military jet-- until I realized it carried no armament.

That's one of the reasons I lost interest in the Mosquito.

Well there was an armed version of it, YF-12, not sure if it ever entered service. 
Plus there was the prototype blackbird/s with the still faster recon drone mounted piggyback. 

As for the Mosquito, not sure lack of armament is a 'valid' criticism as probably the majority were armed, some rather heavily so. And often it makes sense that reconnaissance planes are unarmed.

Armed "version" and armed "version". The YF-12 lost the competition for the next generation Air Force fighter to what became the F-15 due to maintenence and reliability issues iirc. An american Foxbat with less payload, higher speed, higher altitude, massively longer pre-flight prep and the tendency to get jet fuel on everything nearby just didnt' seem relevant in a world where the soviets weren't even thinking about nuking american cities with deep penetrating long range bombers armed with cruise missiles. The soviets were however planning on using cruise missiles launched from long range bombers to attack carrier groups, consequently the American Foxbat was the F-14.

Re: the Mosquito and it's successor the Canberra (the mosquitos post war jet engined replacement) they were multi role multi engine fighter/bombers. They played every single combat role except torpedo launching and strategic bombing. The Mosquito is not an example of how a scout/recon plane can be adapted to other roles. It is an example of an exceptional design and production plan that managed to fill every single niche that didn't already have a plane specifically designed for the role as well as being able to perform competently in most roles when and where it was required. This was especially useful since it didn't consume any strategic resources apart from the merlin engines it used. The canadian ones used an american built merlin version iirc so those didn't used anything of real consequence in terms of material. It's brilliance lay in it's versatility both in being able to make up the numbers in roles which were already underequipped and filling new unplanned for roles (like pathfinding and strategic recon).

Why are you telling me this, I know all of that, no doubt most of the rest of the forum does too.  ;)

Did I say it was ? Or might I have been commenting on it being unarmed ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on March 20, 2013, 05:33:31 PM

The YF-12 didn't lose out to the F-15 - it was from the generation before the F-15.  The F-12 program was cancelled because the need for it disappeared with advances in ICBMs and especially SLBMs.  It had been designed as a long-range interceptor, not a fighter per se.  The F-15 and F-14 were primarily air superiority fighters.  Neither was "the American Foxbat."  You could argue that the Phoenix missile was a purely interceptor missile, but that didn't make the F-14 an interceptor.  It just gave an air superiority fighter like the F-14 the capability to act in the long-range-interceptor  role when necessary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Uh yeah, calling the F-14 the American Foxbat is a bit of an insult. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Oh, no some one compared an American interceptor to a a Soviet interceptor.  The horror!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

The F-22 is the American Foxbat:  An expensive waste of resources built to counter an opponent that didn't exist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2013, 11:14:09 PM
The F-22 is the American Foxbat:  An expensive waste of resources built to counter an opponent that didn't exist.

Canadians have nothing worthwhile to say on the topic. *cough*AVRO Arrow*cough*

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on March 20, 2013, 11:26:36 PM
Wait a minute...  Aren't you from Iceland?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Man, I wouldn't want that albatross around my neck.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

:hmm: What's your point?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2013, 07:19:40 AM

:hmm: What's your point?

It's just Canada; aviation; AVRO Arrow;

That's pretty much all I need.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on March 21, 2013, 06:03:43 PM
It's just Canada; aviation; AVRO Arrow;

That's pretty much all I need.

If you are going to mock Canadian military aircraft, mock the CF-100 Canuck.  They actually built that turkey in large numbers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!