Poles to bring the case for the CoFSM before the ECHR

Started by Martinus, March 18, 2013, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2013, 06:54:51 PM
I'm not certain that CC and the rest of us are using the same definition.

One thing is for sure.  You and Valmy dont appear to have any idea what it is.  Go back and re-read what I said it was.

You are right.  I thought it was what Yi said.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 03:28:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 05:21:10 PM
You guys honestly don't know what gerrymander means?  :huh:

It means the drawing of electoral borders (often with bizarre shapes) to maximize electoral advantage.

Well that was what I thought the definition was. 

Really? 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 03:29:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2013, 06:54:51 PM
I'm not certain that CC and the rest of us are using the same definition.

One thing is for sure.  You and Valmy dont appear to have any idea what it is.  Go back and re-read what I said it was.

You are right.  I thought it was what Yi said.

Then your posts make you out to be a bit silly given you defended such a practice as being democratic.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2013, 03:23:57 PM
Which is a corruption of democracy hence I agree with CC.

You and CC have a narrower definition of democracy clearly.  You can be democratically corrupt, if the majority of the people support it...which they seem to when it comes to the way we draw our corrupt districts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 03:30:24 PM

You and CC have a narrower definition of democracy clearly.  You can be democratically corrupt.

Yeah, we like to rule out things like one party rule etc.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2013, 03:30:17 PM
Then your posts make you out to be a bit silly given you defended such a practice as being democratic.

I did not defend it all.  Democratic does not necessarily mean good.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 03:32:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2013, 03:30:17 PM

I did not defend it all.  Democratic does not necessarily mean good.

But it does mean democratic.  You suggested that any system created by a democratically elected goverment would itself be democratic simply by viture of the fact the decision maker was elected.  Such a notion is absurd.

Gerrymandering is an easy example that creates abuses.  Another example is the way the two party system in the US is so deeply entrenched.

But I doubt you will see that as a problem given your previous posts.

So lets use a really easy example.  A government is elected and then suspends all future elections because of one reason or another but promises that when the time is right they will hold another election.  Still going to argue that a system created by democratically elected representatives will always be democratic?  Or is your definition of democracy so pliable that any abuse is possible?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2013, 03:30:24 PM

You and CC have a narrower definition of democracy clearly.  You can be democratically corrupt, if the majority of the people support it...which they seem to when it comes to the way we draw our corrupt districts.

I think that democracy understood as (just) rule of the majority is very 19th century and no longer thought sufficient in today's world.

Razgovory

I think the word "liberal democracy" is best to describe the narrower version of Democracy as CC sees it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2013, 03:40:59 PM
I think that democracy understood as (just) rule of the majority is very 19th century and no longer thought sufficient in today's world.
The American system's designed to stop that though. It's arguably far more British :P  :bowler:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2013, 06:48:04 PM
I think the word "liberal democracy" is best to describe the narrower version of Democracy as CC sees it.

I guess it's semanthics but also probably comes from the fact that both CC and I are lawyers. I know that if I went to my constitutional law exam and, when asked to define democracy, I said that it is "rule of the majority" only, I could at best hope to get C-.

I think a lot of people who are not specifically educated in that area may think this is a definition, but it hasn't been valid, at least in the West, for at least half a century now. Such elements as equality under law (including equal vote), protection of fundamental rights of minorities and rule of law are all considered sine qua non elements of democracy in the modern West - a system that lacks it simply isn't democracy any more.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2013, 01:41:09 AM

I guess it's semanthics but also probably comes from the fact that both CC and I are lawyers. I know that if I went to my constitutional law exam and, when asked to define democracy, I said that it is "rule of the majority" only, I could at best hope to get C-.

I think a lot of people who are not specifically educated in that area may think this is a definition, but it hasn't been valid, at least in the West, for at least half a century now. Such elements as equality under law (including equal vote), protection of fundamental rights of minorities and rule of law are all considered sine qua non elements of democracy in the modern West - a system that lacks it simply isn't democracy any more.

I don't disagree with that.  I think the problem that Valmy has with the positions you and CC have taken in this thread is that he is looking at democracy as a process--how the system operates--while you are trying to label the outcomes of the process--the actual laws produced by the system--as either democratic or undemocratic.  The problem with that approach is it then becomes too easy to simply label outcomes you don't agree with as "undemocratic". 

I think I'm in agreement with Valmy.  If a system has free elections, rule of law, and respect for minority rights, I'll consider that system democratic, even if it produces laws that I don't agree with.

crazy canuck

You will note that in my very first post on the subject I said that the Rule of Law was critical to a healthy democracy.  What you seem to think of democracy is form over substance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on March 21, 2013, 12:24:51 PM
I don't disagree with that.  I think the problem that Valmy has with the positions you and CC have taken in this thread is that he is looking at democracy as a process--how the system operates--while you are trying to label the outcomes of the process--the actual laws produced by the system--as either democratic or undemocratic.  The problem with that approach is it then becomes too easy to simply label outcomes you don't agree with as "undemocratic". 

I think I'm in agreement with Valmy.  If a system has free elections, rule of law, and respect for minority rights, I'll consider that system democratic, even if it produces laws that I don't agree with.

You are part right.  The debate was joined over the question of whether any system created by democratically elected governments will always be democratic.  That is a question of substance - are the rules the current government create undemocratic.  The answer to that question isnt merely semantics.  It goes to the root of the health of the democracy and in extreme cases whether one still lives in a society that could be considered democratic.   

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2013, 12:41:10 PM

You will note that in my very first post on the subject I said that the Rule of Law was critical to a healthy democracy.  What you seem to think of democracy is form over substance.

I'm looking at it as a political system, and not relying on a value judgment to define it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017