Poles to bring the case for the CoFSM before the ECHR

Started by Martinus, March 18, 2013, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2013, 09:09:38 PM
I dont think you understand the concept of Gerrymandering.  But since it has a long tradition in US politics perhaps I should give you the benefit of the doubt and realize that perhaps you thinks such a thing is acceptable and normal.

What does being acceptable or normal to me have to do with whether it is democratic?  What exactly are the requirements for something being democratic?  The lawmakers pass laws you think are normal and acceptable?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Something is democratic when they foster to the concept of democracy, will of the majority of people.

Wether directly,indirectly or both count could be argued for all sides.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 11:35:09 AM
I dont think you understand the concept of Gerrymandering.  But since it has a long tradition in US politics perhaps I should give you the benefit of the doubt and realize that perhaps you thinks such a thing is acceptable and normal.

What does being acceptable or normal to me have to do with whether it is democratic?  What exactly are the requirements for something being democratic?  The lawmakers pass laws you think are normal and acceptable?

I am just struck by the fact that you dont think there is anything wrong with Gerrymandering which led me to believe you either dont know what the word means or that it has become an acceptable practice where you live.

fyi Gerrymandering isnt merely changing electoral boundaries.  It is changing them in an effort to gain a particular political advantage so as affect the outcome of elections.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 11:48:06 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 11:35:09 AM

I am just struck by the fact that you dont think there is anything wrong with Gerrymandering which led me to believe you either dont know what the word means or that it has become an acceptable practice where you live.

fyi Gerrymandering isnt merely changing electoral boundaries.  It is changing them in an effort to gain a particular political advantage so as affect the outcome of elections.

I think there is alot wrong with gerrymandering.  I just think the way we gerrymander is democratic if against the spirit of how they should be redrawing the districts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 12:10:00 PM
I think there is alot wrong with gerrymandering.  I just think the way we gerrymander is democratic if against the spirit of how they should be redrawing the districts.

So you think there is a correct way to Gerrymander?  See when you say stuff like this I gotta think you really dont know what the word means.  By definition it is undemocratic. ;)

Razgovory

Just to be clear here, are you considering redrawing any district in response to a census, "Gerrymandering"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 01:36:56 PM
So you think there is a correct way to Gerrymander?  See when you say stuff like this I gotta think you really dont know what the word means.  By definition it is undemocratic. ;)

Um...is just drawing districts gerrymandering? :huh:

Clearly I do not know what the word means.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2013, 03:47:21 PM
Just to be clear here, are you considering redrawing any district in response to a census, "Gerrymandering"?

No.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 03:51:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Um...is just drawing districts gerrymandering? :huh:

Clearly I do not know what the word means.

Clearly

Razgovory

Okay could you give us a definition for the word?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

You guys honestly don't know what gerrymander means?  :huh:

It means the drawing of electoral borders (often with bizarre shapes) to maximize electoral advantage.

Razgovory

I'm not certain that CC and the rest of us are using the same definition.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 05:21:10 PM

It means the drawing of electoral borders (often with bizarre shapes) to maximize electoral advantage.

Which is a corruption of democracy hence I agree with CC.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2013, 06:54:51 PM
I'm not certain that CC and the rest of us are using the same definition.

One thing is for sure.  You and Valmy dont appear to have any idea what it is.  Go back and re-read what I said it was.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2013, 05:21:10 PM

Well that was what I thought the definition was.  Clearly I was wrong.