News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 15, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Different how? Is it better? I'm trying to decide which of the major mods is best, but I'm too lazy to try them all in detail. I've tried MMP, but it's very heavy and I don't think I fully understand it yet.

MMP has been designed to recreate a plausible historical development - so it has more depth.  MEIOU on the other hand feels more like a game where they've concentrated on the map and the interface (the new stuff made by Solo is breathtaking!).  As for the mechanics they're more flexible.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Grals, do either of those mods work yet with the brand new beta?

I have a weird compulsion to download any P'dox beta and install the second I learn of its release.  :Embarrass:

Also, I presume you're 'Grallonsphere' on the Pdox boards now?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2010, 06:48:47 AM
Grals, do either of those mods work yet with the brand new beta?

I have a weird compulsion to download any P'dox beta and install the second I learn of its release.  :Embarrass:

Also, I presume you're 'Grallonsphere' on the Pdox boards now?

MEIOU works with 4.1b - not MMP - and yes Grallonsphere is me since Grallon was banned in 2003.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Clearly not a very effective disguise (you even sign your posts with the whole 'G.' convention).  ;)

Barrister

SO, thinking of giving this a new spin.

As always (until I can get it right), I will try and play Byzantium.  That being said, the last dozen times I've tried I have failed to survive.

I did have a good game going pre HttT.  BUt after mistakenly patching, and now with HttT, I just can't seem to pull it off again.  The basic strategy is to wait for OE to send all it's troops east, then send your fleet out into the straights and sit on all of OE's European provinces.  But it just isn't working for me any more.

Any news uggestions?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Try starting on a date where the Ottomans are at their weakest and Byz gets a few extra provinces. Somewhere around 1402.

Barrister

Quote from: Solmyr on April 19, 2010, 02:33:45 PM
Try starting on a date where the Ottomans are at their weakest and Byz gets a few extra provinces. Somewhere around 1402.

For some reason that felt like cheating, but I've never used an alternate starting date before...

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2010, 01:37:31 PM
SO, thinking of giving this a new spin.

As always (until I can get it right), I will try and play Byzantium.  That being said, the last dozen times I've tried I have failed to survive.

I did have a good game going pre HttT.  BUt after mistakenly patching, and now with HttT, I just can't seem to pull it off again.  The basic strategy is to wait for OE to send all it's troops east, then send your fleet out into the straights and sit on all of OE's European provinces.  But it just isn't working for me any more.

Any news uggestions?

It'll work. It took me four attempts with HTTT 4.1b, but I have a game where the Romans/Byzantines hold everything from Rome to the borders of India, including the Arabian peninsula (I just loved Christianising Mecca!) I don't see why the tactic shouldn't work with the latest beta patches.

Firstly, you need to build more galleys. You don't need that big a fleet, but what you start with is not enough.

Secondly, don't rely on the Timurids. They seem to be a broken reed, always losing to the Ottomans. Better to wait and build your fleet first, even if this lets the Ottomans declare war first.

As long as you have your fleet, at least a couple of European allies, and a little luck, you can take the European provinces and just sit on them until someone else attacks the Ottomans, you grow bored, or they collapse. While the Ottomans are at war with the Timurids it is actually best to attack the smaller Islamic states to build up your teritory and resources...the north coast state is a good one. Wait 'til they attack Trebizond and then land your army.

Hiring mercenaries works, as long as you do not go overboard. Saying yes to the event that gives you a huge army raised by the nobility is actually a death sentence for your country (debt spiral) so avoid it like the plague.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

I like the recent HRE changes (ongoing infamy and prestige penalty for each of your non-core HRE provinces as HRE member). If you want your focus to be the HRE, you have to expand really slow in it, working with vassalization and personal unions instead.

I think this will drastically change the pace of Austrian expansion in Germany in MP games, and will probably give new dimensions to the game with the additional HRE player we will have on sundays :)

I will have my work cut out for me, thats for sure.  :hmm:

Barrister

I didn't really get a chance to play with it much, but a 1403 start looks WAY easier for Byzantium...

Viking

MEIOU crashes a bit too often to me with the latest patch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I installed it and was able to get it to start with a 1399 start date, but when I went back and thumbed through the bookmarked start dates to the end, it crashed before even loading up the scenario I selected.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 06:26:26 PM
I installed it and was able to get it to start with a 1399 start date, but when I went back and thumbed through the bookmarked start dates to the end, it crashed before even loading up the scenario I selected.

Some dates crash... don't know why. Stick with the bookmarks. I think there may just be too many tags in it, it runs really really slow compared to vanilla.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grallon

Quote from: Viking on April 20, 2010, 06:13:25 PM
MEIOU crashes a bit too often to me with the latest patch.

Yes they're working on it.  I'm still using the latest beta with Paradox feb patch myself and I had only one crash during a war.  In fact my problem is that the game crash on exit.  But it hasn't corrupted any savegame so far.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

DGuller

Does everyone's game crash on exit?  Mine does since a couple of beta patches ago.  It's not a problem, since you're done playing anyway when it happens, but it's annoying.