And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2010, 04:13:53 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2010, 02:55:15 AM
The Papacy currently owns Iceland in my game, though they also control Rome and have never lost it (though Milan won a few wars against them, but never deigned to annex for some reason).

Does anyone have any idea why that would seem to be a common trend?

Wild guess: does Iceland start as a colony? Maybe it gets destroyed, with Iceland becoming colonizable and, this being the only colonizable area Papacy knows, they send their colonists there (which they have for being narrowminded)?

Or the revolters-defect routine going nuts

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2010, 04:13:53 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2010, 02:55:15 AM
The Papacy currently owns Iceland in my game, though they also control Rome and have never lost it (though Milan won a few wars against them, but never deigned to annex for some reason).

Does anyone have any idea why that would seem to be a common trend?

Wild guess: does Iceland start as a colony? Maybe it gets destroyed, with Iceland becoming colonizable and, this being the only colonizable area Papacy knows, they send their colonists there (which they have for being narrowminded)?

given that Reykjavik isn't founded until 1786 it should start as a colony.... (yes I know there were other small settlements...) How Iceland manages to be worth two provinces baffles me.. the population never exceeded 50 thousand until the 20th century. A volcano in the wrong place could kill half of them.. and one did...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Interesting to me that most of you guys seem to be playing as Euro conquerors; I see little exploration/colonization going on.  More fun?

I might pick up this game.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2010, 05:30:16 AM
Interesting to me that most of you guys seem to be playing as Euro conquerors; I see little exploration/colonization going on.  More fun?

I'm playing a Timurid->Mughal game. I'm in the 1470s and stretch from Burma to Egypt.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on January 09, 2010, 10:42:16 AM
I'm playing a Timurid->Mughal game. I'm in the 1470s and stretch from Burma to Egypt.
Is it because colonization doesn't kick in until the 1500s?  Is it just more fun to kick ass?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2010, 05:30:16 AM

Colonization is definitely dreadfully boring.  It's also going to retard your tech advance if go too far too early. 

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2010, 02:41:31 AM
Yeah, the zero-morale army-surrender thing can be pretty rough, especially since assaults/retreats never stop/occur unless the armies fighting are at zero morale.  There should be a threshold to retreat that's a miniscule amount to prevent such stupidity.
Agreed, I've had that happen, and it's ridiculous.  Right now I have to babysit my battles to make sure that my armies retreat before getting their morale blown too much.  However, when it's a close one, I just have to take the risk.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2010, 10:52:59 AM
Is it because colonization doesn't kick in until the 1500s?  Is it just more fun to kick ass?

I just wanted to test out some Ideas.. then the game got interesting.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2010, 10:52:59 AM

Colonization usually starts up in the 1450s-'60s for me.  Making a beeline for QFTNW is relatively easy to do and there are some prime jump-off points to grab for the colonial race later on.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Yeah when you arrive late to colonization, you do arrive pretty damn late, due to others grabbing the jump-off points

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on January 09, 2010, 06:35:08 PM
Yeah when you arrive late to colonization, you do arrive pretty damn late, due to others grabbing the jump-off points

Number one reason I usually annex Portugal, or at least emasculate them.

In my current game, I've reduced them to 2-3 home provinces and they ended up moving their capital to their North American empire...

Meanwhile, the entirety of the Caribbean and Central/South America is mine, with nary a Portagee to be found.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

As an addendum, arriving "late" to the colonial grab isn't necessarily the end of the world.  As Spain, for example, I made a conscious decision to expand as rapidly as possible in the colonial sphere, without regard for anything else.

That quickly netted me ~15 points of inflation, which is only just now starting to come down, nearly 100 years later.  Probably not the best way to go about things...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Has anyone had any luck doing anything with France in the new expansion?

I am subbing for France (that got their ass handed to them the first session) in an MP game tomorrow so I have been playing around with them and getting my arse whipped constantly.  Just like happened in the Languish game France gets gang-banged by every two bit piss-ant country in W Europe every time they even look at someone sideways.  Even her vassals jump in on the fun almost immediately.  I guess it is good that you have to be careful and considerate in gong to war but from what I have seen this is just silly.

Habbaku

I haven't had that much trouble myself, honestly.  England usually can't project much power on the continent and you can beat the Burgundians even if they're allied with the English.  I think the important thing to do is make sure that you maintain high relations and an alliance with each of your starting vassals until you've successfully pummeled your immediate opposition (Burgundy) and steadily diplo-annex the minors.

If you can accomplish getting even 2/3 of modern France, there usually isn't anyone that can stop you from smashing them in land warfare.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

What Habs said, but also it helps a LOT if Burgundy is not the Emperor. Then when in war with them, it is very important to do what you should be doing in any war: combine your forces into a megastack and force decisive battles until the Burgundian armies are gone, dropping off siege forces along the way.