News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on January 01, 2010, 09:06:39 PM
The search forum was turned off years ago.

Don't worry, the search function isn't very good. The old threads got messed up when they switched whatever it is they switched.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

I just watched the BBB get assraped. A Full Size France with all of Modern France's provinces except Provence, Avignon, Lorraine and Brittany. France annexed Savoy and got itself Excommunicated. The next 20 years was spent at war with Castille, England, Aragon, Austria and Finally Me Burgundy. France was reduced to 6 provinces (the Valois core around Paris).

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is a problem with Infamy/Threat/War Exhaustion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on January 02, 2010, 09:18:43 PM
I just watched the BBB get assraped. A Full Size France with all of Modern France's provinces except Provence, Avignon, Lorraine and Brittany. France annexed Savoy and got itself Excommunicated. The next 20 years was spent at war with Castille, England, Aragon, Austria and Finally Me Burgundy. France was reduced to 6 provinces (the Valois core around Paris).

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is a problem with Infamy/Threat/War Exhaustion.
I actually think that the new Infamy system is working very well.  Any country that over-reaches is going to be gang-banged given half the opportunity, just like it should be.  It makes the expansion much more political in nature, rather than just be a mindless warfare.  What does need to be fixed is AI's reluctance to accept peace deals that would shoot its Infamy sky high. 

jimmy olsen

All Hail Tim, Emperor of the Holy Roman Protestant Empire of
Milan, King of the Portuguese Kingdom in Exile, King of Wallachia,
Heir to the Throne of the Scandinavian Empire and Liege Lord of
Venice.

Anno Domini 1711
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Tainted.  :(  Wonder if it's too late to get a refund on HTTT.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 06, 2010, 10:48:26 AM
Tainted.  :(  Wonder if it's too late to get a refund on HTTT.
Why hallo there Captain Buzzkill.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Where's the fun in world conquest?  I guess I don't get it.  I always try to play my games of EU 3 in a semi-roleplaying fashion where my king is merely out to inherit a neighbor or crusade against the Mooninites rather than to see how much I can break the game open.

I tried a game where I played Austria in an attempt to form the HRE.  Ended up getting all the reforms and creating the HRE in 1504 or something.  After that, the game was just boring, as I knew no one would be capable of realistically opposing me and I no longer needed any alliances.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on January 06, 2010, 01:25:54 PM
Where's the fun in world conquest?

I did it once, just to prove to myself that I could.  There isn't much fun, though, since the rebels become your primary annoyance relatively early in.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on January 06, 2010, 01:52:35 PM
Where's the fun in world conquest?

I did it once, just to prove to myself that I could.  There isn't much fun, though, since the rebels become your primary annoyance relatively early in.

If I am going to go for WC I change the culture spread to speed up assimilation so I dont have to bother with that.  If you are going to break the game go all the way.

Barrister

I don't know how you guys can do a WC, doesn't it get boring?

In my Byzantium game I'm somewhat stuck because I'm at a point where the Timurids always DOW me.  I think I can survive, but I just don't really feel like waging a massive land war...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 02:19:30 PM

In my Byzantium game I'm somewhat stuck because I'm at a point where the Timurids always DOW me.  I think I can survive, but I just don't really feel like waging a massive land war...

Sucker the timurids all the way to the bosphorus without taking any provinces, basically let their doom stack chase your doomstack. Once your doomstack reaches edirne close the bophorus with the fleet. The timurid doomstack with the timurid 6.6.2.6 leader will siege one of the local provinces. Once the Timurid doomstack is reduced to 15k men, attack it with your 20k doomstack and chase and wipe out. At that point WE will be killing the timurids, 40 regiments attritting at 10%. They can't last more than a year before WE is at 20%. Then invade and take the Turkosemitic provinces they have in the peace agreement.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

ulmont

Yes, which is why I've not done it all that much.

DGuller

Very, it's impossible for me to keep playing once I become the clear top dog.  I am making one last try, as Russia.  So far I've pretty much conquered and converted most of the Muslim lands, all the Russian lands, and made deep inroads into Eastern Europe and the Balkans, and it's 1590. 

Since I haven't smashed any Western European countries yet, and it'll be a while before I can do it without Infamy, I'm hoping that one of them would prove to be a challenge.  I also want to make it the end of the game for once, just to experience the 17th-19th century dynamics.  For now I'll just continue milking the Holy War for another 60 years, snagging myself another 90 or so provinces in Asia, and leave European be.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on January 06, 2010, 02:30:43 PM

Sucker the timurids all the way to the bosphorus without taking any provinces, basically let their doom stack chase your doomstack. Once your doomstack reaches edirne close the bophorus with the fleet. The timurid doomstack with the timurid 6.6.2.6 leader will siege one of the local provinces. Once the Timurid doomstack is reduced to 15k men, attack it with your 20k doomstack and chase and wipe out. At that point WE will be killing the timurids, 40 regiments attritting at 10%. They can't last more than a year before WE is at 20%. Then invade and take the Turkosemitic provinces they have in the peace agreement.

Should work.  In the provinces I can see they have a lot of troops, but it seems like I could just top him, but when I'm reminded about how many provinces he has in Persia...

Slightly worried about my Georgian provinces though - I inherited them a few years back.  But I should be able to retreat back to Constantinople...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Where's the fun in world conquest?  I guess I don't get it.  I always try to play my games of EU 3 in a semi-roleplaying fashion where my king is merely out to inherit a neighbor or crusade against the Mooninites rather than to see how much I can break the game open.

I tried a game where I played Austria in an attempt to form the HRE.  Ended up getting all the reforms and creating the HRE in 1504 or something.  After that, the game was just boring, as I knew no one would be capable of realistically opposing me and I no longer needed any alliances.

It just kind of happened, my infamy's never gone above 18.4, I've just gotten incredibly lucky. I made friends with France and they joined the Empire and became an elector. They had conquered the caucuses and the northern middle east so when I made the empire in 1618 they came with it. I also inherited Great Britain in 1647.

1 Karma Chameleon point