News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spotify - where's the catch?

Started by Martinus, March 17, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, so I was loyal to iTunes, being a Mac user and all... but Spotify apparently lets me listen all kinds of music for free.

So where's the catch?  :huh:

katmai

Need premium account to listen on smartphone. Other than that, haven't seen any catch.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Well and if premium on PC don't get the ads every 8-10 songs if i recall correctly.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Ok, didn't notice that. But that's about 5 Euro per month, so still pretty cheap.

The Brain

No catch that I know of. It's the civilized way to listen to music. Obviously you pay the tiny sum to avoid ads.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I like it a lot, even though I've come across quite a few albums missing (e.g. a lot of Napalm Records releases or most Welle:Erdball albums).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

without premium lots of stuff is off limits and you can only listen to a song 5 times too.
it used to be great, despite a sometimes iffy libraray ive not used it for years.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Talk about a coincidence!  I helping my dad install stuff on his computer and I found this on there last night.  My brother (who also uses that PC), installed it.  Had no clue what it did.  Almost deleted it, (My dad had a bunch of junk on there for some reason) but my brother intervened and said he used it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Grooveshark.  No premium account anymore for mobile app, not ad-supported. :contract:
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2013, 03:03:12 AM
Ok, so I was loyal to iTunes, being a Mac user and all... but Spotify apparently lets me listen all kinds of music for free.

So where's the catch?  :huh:

The musicians and songwriters get Very little money compared with what they recieved if you bought a CD or to a lesser extent the digital download.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Does it offer anything that a combination of youtube(songs on demand) and Pandora(shuffle + discover new stuff) don't?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

While I like Pandora, my understanding is that compared to other music-streaming/radio sites, their overall content library is rather limited.

Neil

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2013, 10:22:09 AM
The musicians and songwriters get Very little money compared with what they recieved if you bought a CD or to a lesser extent the digital download.
Who cares about them?  If they wanted to make money, they should have gotten a real job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Mongers, please look stuff up before you start talking.  An artist on iTunes will probably get less than 6% paid out to them.  Streaming is expensive for the provider; they end up saddled with the satellite radio rate, or 10.5-12% of the revenue for the playing time (a couple years back, I was actually part of one group that lobbied unsuccessfully to keep the rate hike from going through).  CD rates are actually by far the lowest.  The regulatory rate is 9.1 cents per song or 1.75 cents per minute, whichever is greater.  Most of your Billboard Top 100 artists don't put out songs longer than 5:12 (the break-even point), so for that $20 CD you bought at the store with 10 short-ish tracks, the artist got 91 cents.  Less than 5 percent.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2013, 11:14:26 AM

Mongers, please look stuff up before you start talking. An artist on iTunes will probably get less than 6% paid out to them.  Streaming is expensive for the provider; they end up saddled with the satellite radio rate, or 10.5-12% of the revenue for the playing time (a couple years back, I was actually part of one group that lobbied unsuccessfully to keep the rate hike from going through).  CD rates are actually by far the lowest.  The regulatory rate is 9.1 cents per song or 1.75 cents per minute, whichever is greater.  Most of your Billboard Top 100 artists don't put out songs longer than 5:12 (the break-even point), so for that $20 CD you bought at the store with 10 short-ish tracks, the artist got 91 cents.  Less than 5 percent.

This is a good way of getting people to disregard the rest of what you then say; you should try that approach more often.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"