Republican Senator turns pro-gay now that his son is gay

Started by Martinus, March 15, 2013, 02:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 10:33:47 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2013, 10:30:01 AM
Boo.  Gays are bad, and letting them get married won't make them better.  Forcing them to act like humans will make them better.
Letting them take on roles like marriage and child-rearing could help there. Otherwise, we just stick to perpetual adolescence and bachelorhood. :D
But then you run into the transition period, when they start fucking their children.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2013, 10:46:45 AM
Boo.  Gays are bad, and letting them get married won't make them better.  Forcing them to act like humans will make them better.
Letting them take on roles like marriage and child-rearing could help there. Otherwise, we just stick to perpetual adolescence and bachelorhood. :D
But then you run into the transition period, when they start fucking their children.

Is that you, MSil?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2013, 02:25:53 AM
On the other, it makes you kind of a shithead both from the pro-gay perspective ("so you couldn't think about how lack of equality hurts people until it was your own kid?") and from the anti-gay perspective ("so you used to think homosexuality is wrong but now that your son is gay you are fine with it? What if your son was a murderer?").

People generally need a catalyst to rethink positions they've held all their lives. Though I suspect what's in the article is an oversimplification of the thought process he went through.

So:
QuoteDon't look a gift horse in the mouth, Mart.

Also applicable to Oregon Republicans if they want to run a candidate who is defined by his anti-gay stance rather than taxes and business(as any candidate who beats Portman will be).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 10:48:08 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2013, 10:46:45 AM
Is that you, MSil?
I don't know.  Am I me?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Not entirely sure how I feel about people like this.

Good god. So it's not just okay for people to change their minds and support marriage equality; now they have to do it according to Martinus' Approved List of Motivations?
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 15, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

Good god. So it's not just okay for people to change their minds and support marriage equality; now they have to do it according to Martinus' Approved List of Motivations?

To be fair though it does highlight one as having a weak and/or hypocritical character.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is pretty obvious before he didn't care so he just went along with whatever his base wanted.  Outside of a few pet issues most politicians are like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 11:43:46 AM
To be fair though it does highlight one as having a weak and/or hypocritical character.

He's a politician. :mellow:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 11:46:33 AM
It is pretty obvious before he didn't care so he just went along with whatever his base wanted.  Outside of a few pet issues most politicians are like this.
Rand Paul  :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 15, 2013, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 11:43:46 AM

He's a politician. :mellow:

Some of us expect better from our politicians. :angry:

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 12:01:43 PM
Some of us expect better from our politicians. :angry:

Personally I expect (as in "forecast", not as in "wish/hope") them to continue to exhibit exactly the same qualities which got them to their current position.

Every once in a while, though, they have a personal experience which cuts through the bullshit and gives them a new insight. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Admiral Yi

Marty wants to be sure there are still people he can hate after everyone has signed on to gay marriage.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 12:05:25 PM

Marty wants to be sure there are still people he can hate after everyone has signed on to gay marriage.

I don't think he's going to have any problems.

MadImmortalMan

Too late. Barry Goldwater did this thirty years ago.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 11:46:33 AM

Yes, but if the issue you don't care about affects so directly lives of people, and you still deny them their rights, you are a douchebag.