Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

MadImmortalMan

http://www.xojane.com/relationships/my-husband-almost-divorced-me-because-im-fat

Cliff notes:

1: Wife was only a little overweight when they married

2: Wife and husband both work on weight loss for years

3: Wife reads on the internet that it's ok to be fat, so she decides to accept it and stop trying

4: Husband disagrees and they decide to split up
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

In my case, no.  But depending on the situation I might not scorn another dude for doing it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

Physical attraction is an important part of many relationships, so yes, I would say it is a fair reason for a divorce. It's at least a more tangible reason than simply "growing apart".
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on March 13, 2013, 03:45:10 PM
Physical attraction is an important part of many relationships, so yes, I would say it is a fair reason for a divorce. It's at least a more tangible reason than simply "growing apart".

If one or both are putting on weight, they could literally be "growing apart".  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on March 13, 2013, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Warspite on March 13, 2013, 03:45:10 PM

If one or both are putting on weight, they could literally be "growing apart".  :P
:lol:

Phillip V

Just communicate and commit to what the two of you want physically in the beginning and future.

I am generally fit, and I am generally attracted to fit women. As part of our relationship (and later marriage), we must agree to *believe* that being fit is a good thing to be. We must agree to pursue being fit for life as best we can, but we admit that we may naturally get fat due to ageing, childbirth, illness, disability, utter busyness, etc. The latter reasons are not grounds for divorce, but are instead grounds for love and support.

Legbiter

Because she gains a few pounds, no. Blows up to landwhale/American fat proportions....yeah kinda. It would kill the boner for sure.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Phillip V

Quote from: Legbiter on March 13, 2013, 04:06:07 PM
Because she gains a few pounds, no. Blows up to landwhale/American fat proportions....yeah kinda. It would kill the boner for sure.
I would broach the subject of "open marriage".

11B4V

QuoteWould you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Yes
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

A good reason? No.

A valid reason? Possibly.

On the other hand, my wife certainly put on some weight after a couple kids. I thought it might bother me, but it turns out it bothers her a hell of a lot more than it bothers me. I still think she is hot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM
http://www.xojane.com/relationships/my-husband-almost-divorced-me-because-im-fat

Cliff notes:

1: Wife was only a little overweight when they married

2: Wife and husband both work on weight loss for years

3: Wife reads on the internet that it's ok to be fat, so she decides to accept it and stop trying

4: Husband disagrees and they decide to split up

Well he has the additional reasons that she's kinda dumb.  It's not "Okay" to be fat.  It's a serious health risk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

I didn't read the source but it depends on the definition of "fat".

Phillip V

Forgot to also mention that the guy should have known what he might get (fat wife). She had a history of being fat, and she trapped him during her "slim phase". We all know women who do this.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.