News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you haggle?

Started by Martinus, March 12, 2013, 11:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I never really haggled in the past - it is not part of Polish culture to begin with, and furthermore I am rather introvert in person.

Now that I am finishing decorating my flat, and beginning to run out of budget, I started to haggle, however, and I am surprised how effective it can be - not just in the service industries (e.g. haggling with the construction workers or to-order furniture manufactures) but even in areas where I would have never expected haggling could work before, such as buying home appliances at a store.

So how do you approach haggling? Is it beneath or a part of daily life? 

Valmy

Haggling is really only done for big money items, relatively anyway, usually houses and cars and furniture that sort of stuff.  Since you usually only haggle when you have the cash (and are not buying on credit) I generally do not but I hope to someday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I sort of got the hang of haggling at a local appliance store & found that they seemed more than happy to work out a deal on most appliances and that the advertised price was never set in stone.  Then a little while later I tried haggling in the electronics department at the same store and they acted like I was insane.

So yeah, I'll haggle where appropriate.  I've come across people who try to haggle everywhere, all the time, for anything.  Seems like a good way to get people to hate you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Yeah most people in our culture would think you're a dick if you try it, outside of certain specific arenas, like used car sales or something. I imagine if it were in, say, Tunisia nobody would blink at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Sometimes. I'm not really good at it tho. Always try it if the vendor is an Arab.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2013, 11:46:51 AM
Yeah most people in our culture would think you're a dick if you try it, outside of certain specific arenas, like used car sales or something. I imagine if it were in, say, Tunisia nobody would blink at all.

Used anything sales. There's a bunch of reality shows about people buying and selling shit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Haggling is for flea markets, private sales and high price objects (real estate, cars etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I  am not a gypsy, nor an arab.

dps

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2013, 11:58:54 AM
Haggling is for flea markets, private sales and high price objects (real estate, cars etc.).

Yep.

Quote from: ValmyHaggling is really only done for big money items, relatively anyway, usually houses and cars and furniture that sort of stuff.  Since you usually only haggle when you have the cash (and are not buying on credit) I generally do not but I hope to someday.

I'd question that assumption.  When buying big-ticket items like cars, most people will haggle even when buying on credit.  Even if you don't haggle over the actual sale price, you can still haggle over the down payment required (if any) and over the terms under which the credit is extended.

Quote from: derspiessI sort of got the hang of haggling at a local appliance store & found that they seemed more than happy to work out a deal on most appliances and that the advertised price was never set in stone.  Then a little while later I tried haggling in the electronics department at the same store and they acted like I was insane.

Very few places will haggle over the price of electronics--there's very little margin on the stuff to begin with.  Appliances don't typically have a real high markup, but they generally have a good bit more than electronics.  (I'm talking about new merchandise here--used stuff is a different matter.)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2013, 11:58:54 AM

Yup.  The fuck I look like, a goddamned traveling merchant on the Silk Road?  YOU SOLD ME QUEER GIRAFFES

mongers

Context is all.

Besides depends if it's a 'fair' price whether I'm buying or the seller.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2013, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: ValmyHaggling is really only done for big money items, relatively anyway, usually houses and cars and furniture that sort of stuff.  Since you usually only haggle when you have the cash (and are not buying on credit) I generally do not but I hope to someday.

I'd question that assumption.  When buying big-ticket items like cars, most people will haggle even when buying on credit.  Even if you don't haggle over the actual sale price, you can still haggle over the down payment required (if any) and over the terms under which the credit is extended.

I took that to be a slight mis-statement:  you haggle over the big-ticket items, and can haggle over smaller-budget items if you are paying cash.  Flea markets fall under this principal.

If I am paying significant cash (say, over $100) outside of the flea market environment, I'll often test the waters with a query like "do you offer a cash discount?"  It the other person says "yes," then they are open to haggling.  If "no," then not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2013, 02:21:25 PM
I took that to be a slight mis-statement:  you haggle over the big-ticket items, and can haggle over smaller-budget items if you are paying cash.  Flea markets fall under this principal.

If I am paying significant cash (say, over $100) outside of the flea market environment, I'll often test the waters with a query like "do you offer a cash discount?"  It the other person says "yes," then they are open to haggling.  If "no," then not.

Yeah that was what I was getting at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

What about for services like a plumbing, auto-repair, electrical installation and repair etc?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017