ACLU Launches Nationwide Police Militarization Investigation

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2013, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2013, 09:54:29 AM
I can't fit 10 rounds into my revolver anyway, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

So you'd be okay with Maryland reducing the legal mag capacity to 7?

I'll have my dealer send you a copy of his FFL so you can transfer your P38 to me :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2013, 09:53:05 AM
Yeah, but then again you're on record as saying you want the 2nd Amendment repealed, so I'm not surprised to hear you say that.

Last I checked, a musket only held one round. Hard to argue that the Founding Fathers intended for the Second to protect the "right" of a citizen to fire some arbitrary number of rounds, isn't it?

In fact I guess I should just assume all your views on gun laws to be fringe-left and ignore them.

Fringe left? The idea that we should be able to talk about gun control without reference every ten seconds to crap exactly like this - that the ability to carry 10 rounds instead of 7 is some kind of basic human freedom?

Color me fringe then.

What is funny is that I actually think the law is stupid. But not on the basis of it imposing on anyone's "freedom".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 08, 2013, 10:20:25 AM
Last I checked, a musket only held one round. Hard to argue that the Founding Fathers intended for the Second to protect the "right" of a citizen to fire some arbitrary number of rounds, isn't it?

Last I checked, the 2nd Amendment did not state that it was limited to muskets.  Seriously, you're using that retarded argument?

Fringe left? The idea that we should be able to talk about gun control without reference every ten seconds to crap exactly like this - that the ability to carry 10 rounds instead of 7 is some kind of basic human freedom?

Color me fringe then.

Done! :hug:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

11B4V

Yeah, but then again you're on record as saying you want the 2nd Amendment repealed, so I'm not surprised to hear you say that.

:lmfao: Lame

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
You can double- or even triple-shot a musket. :nerd:

Like...putting three bullets in the barrel?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

No Yi, according to Berkut, it doesnt state such, so therefore, no multiple musket balls for you.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2013, 10:43:16 AM

:lmfao: Lame

How so?

What, there isn't ANY restriction on the term "arms" then - since the term can mean anything, then it must mean everything?

That is simply idiotic - even the most ardent gun nut agrees that there are limits, and that the second does NOT guarantee the right of everyone to carry any weapons that can be considered "arms". Therefore pointing out that a gun law specifying that X rounds is ok while Y rounds is not is pretty obviously NOT relevant to the second, since there is no way the numbers of rounds could possibly have been a relevant factor to people who had never even experienced a weapon that could fire more than one round at a time.

This is EXACTLY my point in regards to the second amendment - it is trotted out every single time any law is brought up, even when it obviously does not apply in any real way.

This is a perfect example - we cannot even discuss the SAFE act provisions on magazine capacity (which incidentally I don't even support) without someone bleating on about "freedom", as if "freedom" is defined by the ability to shove 10 rounds in your gun instead of 7, or 50 instead of 30, or 200 instead of 100, or 5 instead of 3.

0 rows returned

Berkut

The SAFE act does not in any way restrict your ability to place multiple rounds in the barrel of your weapon. Knock yourself out. :)

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 08, 2013, 11:24:06 AM

The SAFE act does not in any way restrict your ability to place multiple rounds in the barrel of your weapon. Knock yourself out. :)
In fact, it should be encouraged. :unsure: