ACLU Launches Nationwide Police Militarization Investigation

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2013, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

And here is the section on schools...

Quote from: SAFE Act
48  S 265.01-A. CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.
   49    A PERSON IS GUILTY OF  CRIMINAL  POSSESSION  OF  A  WEAPON  ON  SCHOOL
   50  GROUNDS  WHEN  HE OR SHE KNOWINGLY HAS IN HIS OR HER POSSESSION A RIFLE,
   51  SHOTGUN, OR FIREARM IN OR UPON A BUILDING OR GROUNDS,  USED  FOR  EDUCA-
   52  TIONAL  PURPOSES,  OF  ANY  SCHOOL,  COLLEGE,  OR UNIVERSITY, EXCEPT THE
   53  FORESTRY LANDS, WHEREVER LOCATED, OWNED  AND  MAINTAINED  BY  THE  STATE
   54  UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND FORESTRY, OR
   55  UPON  A  SCHOOL  BUS  AS DEFINED IN SECTION ONE HUNDRED FORTY-TWO OF THE
       S. 2230                            22                            A. 2388

1  VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW,  WITHOUT  THE  WRITTEN  AUTHORIZATION  OF  SUCH
    2  EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.
    3    CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS IS A CLASS E FELONY.

They also didn't add an exemption for Hollywood. So, Cuomo is scrambling to make changes so that the movie industry will be able to continue filming movies involving high capacity firearms in them in NY.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 01:20:13 PM
How many civies know that heavily armed SWAT officers are on Patrol?

Just roll on past your local international airport.  They're there. Ours are the ones in black BDUs with G36s at BWI.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 02:54:23 PM
Should have added - So suck it, Strix.

I thought it helped make his case.  SAFE, as currently written, does not have an exemption for coppers.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 02:57:56 PM

I thought it helped make his case.  SAFE, as currently written, does not have an exemption for coppers.

Except that the state said that they consider police exempt and are working on amendments to make that clear for all. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
Cuomo has already publically stated that the law does not in any way restrict police officers or make anything police officers are currently do or able to do illegal.

So your claim that "...Once the SAFE act takes effect in NY. Most police/peace officers will be to busy arresting each other for carrying magazines that can hold more than seven bullets at a time" is a lie. You knew it was a lie when you said it.

Well, that would be wonderful if he had that power. He does not. It would be up to the Courts to decide. And I would hate to be the Officer who gets in front of a Republican DA in front of a Republican Judge looking to make an example of how the SAFE Act is messed up.

We have been told by the State, that the issue is being discussed at the highest levels. Which means that the Executive Branch (Cuomo) is waiting for the Legislative Branch (the State Assembly) to propose amendments so that the Judicial Branch (the Courts) doesn't have to create case law.

Or, do I have to explain the whole check and balance system of our government to you?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 03:00:46 PM
Except that the state said that they consider police exempt and are working on amendments to make that clear for all. :mellow:

I got that. :mellow:

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on March 07, 2013, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
Cuomo has already publically stated that the law does not in any way restrict police officers or make anything police officers are currently do or able to do illegal.

So your claim that "...Once the SAFE act takes effect in NY. Most police/peace officers will be to busy arresting each other for carrying magazines that can hold more than seven bullets at a time" is a lie. You knew it was a lie when you said it.

Well, that would be wonderful if he had that power. He does not. It would be up to the Courts to decide. And I would hate to be the Officer who gets in front of a Republican DA in front of a Republican Judge looking to make an example of how the SAFE Act is messed up.

You claimed that when the law was passed cops would have to start arresting each other. That is false. Cops will not arrest each other, not does the law demand that they do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 03:02:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 03:00:46 PM

I got that. :mellow:

So what is confusing about the fact that Strix's claim that once the law goes into effect police will have to start arresting each other is a blatant lie?

Since it is in fact the executive who instructs the police on how to enforce law, and they have said that they won't be arresting anyone, claiming that they will do exactly that is a clear falsehood.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 02:57:56 PM

That was not his claim.

His claim was that once SAFE goes into effect, police would spend their time arresting each other, and cops could not enter into a school in an active shooting situation.

Both of those are rather obviously not true.

0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2013, 02:49:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 01:44:18 PM
I didn't know that.  I thought they sat around in their SWAT club house all day wisecracking and talking tough.

Depends if they're detailed full-time to the unit or not.  Most of your larger cities' agencies have their tactical people on a rotational basis for full-time detail since 9/11, but usually on day shift, and for only a couple weeks at a time.
And they're usually at the range punching holes in paper whilst wisecracking and talking tough.

Yes.

To get back to Timms article. Are the police heavily armed than 20-30 years ago..sure, why wouldnt they be. Are they more agressive..yes. Why, because of society.

TWo incidents, more than any other have brought these issues to the forefront.

The "LA Shootout" brought into question Police firepower.

Columbine brought into question police tactics. The first deputy on scene actually went in and engaged those two dumbasses. He then backed off to establish a containment perimeter and "WAIT" for SWAT. Why? That was the tactics of the time. It took the first SWAT team 45 min to organize and deploy. The second over an hour and a half. I am being very generous with those times. It was OVER by that time. This brings us to SWAT trained officers on regular patrol more so nowadays as a common practice compared to back then. They dont wait to engage the shooter. Time is critical. It doesnt matter if you have three units, two, or one. Or whether any of the intial resonders are SWAT trained. They're primary focus is to neutralize the shooter(s) as quickly as possible.

So I repeat: Are the police heavily armed than 20-30 years ago..sure, why wouldnt they be. Are they more agressive..yes. Why, because of society.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 03:10:13 PM
So what is confusing about the fact that Strix's claim that once the law goes into effect police will have to start arresting each other is a blatant lie?

Since it is in fact the executive who instructs the police on how to enforce law, and they have said that they won't be arresting anyone, claiming that they will do exactly that is a clear falsehood.

Frankly that seems like a lawyer's weasel.

Technically you're right.  AFAIK there's nothing that *forces* police to arrest someone committing a crime.

11B4V

I cant believe you thought the Police would not be exempt Strix.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 03:10:13 PM

The part about law enforcement arresting each other was a joke for the most part. There have been stories about law enforcement getting threatened by school rent-a-cops about bringing their weapons on the premises (the one case I remember the cop was actually just picking up his kid).

Local law enforcement doesn't work for the State, so Prince Cuomo can issue all the proclamations he wishes about telling them what to do but they don't have to listen.

Realistically, a scenario involving a police shoot out where someone gets killed/hurt by police firing more than seven rounds before reloading which is followed by a lawsuit citing the current law is probably what will occur first. I doubt a letter from Prince Cuomo will make the lawsuit go away.