News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Goddamn Real Estate

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 06, 2013, 04:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Locked in my 15-year fixed rate mortgage today at 3.75% (3.77% APR)

Admiral Yi

What are you bitching about?  :huh:

Phillip V

Interest rates were much lower just a few months ago.

Jacob

I'd love to be in a 15 year fixed rate mortgage, but up here you basically can't get anything longer than 5 years.

Barrister

I was reading somewhere (Slate?) that the 20-30 year fixed mortgage is pretty much a US-only invention that exists because of certain incentives from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Jacob, you can go as high as a 10-year fixed rate mortgage in Canada.  I renewed last December and now almost wish I'd locked in for that long...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
I was reading somewhere (Slate?) that the 20-30 year fixed mortgage is pretty much a US-only invention that exists because of certain incentives from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Then it should be interesting to see what happens to the US market when they and if they nuke Fan and Fred.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2013, 04:41:16 PMJacob, you can go as high as a 10-year fixed rate mortgage in Canada.  I renewed last December and now almost wish I'd locked in for that long...

I did not know that....  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

Jacob, you can go as high as a 10-year fixed rate mortgage in Canada.  I renewed last December and now almost wish I'd locked in for that long...

My first house was a 30 year. 400 dollars/month. Those were the days.....
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

When I look at the kind of digs I could get in Baltimore for the same price....

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 04:50:37 PM

Heh, I'm more than halfway through my 30 year mortgage, so why bother refinancing now.

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2013, 06:24:42 PM

Heh, I'm more than halfway through my 30 year mortgage, so why bother refinancing now.

So that you pay less?

CountDeMoney

mongers

On the subject of shit in small packages:

'Rabbit hutch' style homes face curb

The government is to consider curbing the building of so-called "rabbit hutch" homes in England.

In a consultation being launched on Tuesday, it said it was considering the introduction of basic space standards.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) said England may already have some of the smallest houses in Europe.

Since the 1920s the average living space in some types of home has fallen by more than a third.

As a result the DCLG is also thinking about the possibility of "space labelling", which would give consumers a clear understanding of how much room there was in any property.

The idea has been welcomed by the Royal Institution of British Architects (Riba).

"We are pleased to see the government consulting on space standards, our public research has repeatedly revealed that space in new homes is a major concern," said Harry Rich, Riba's chief executive.

According to Riba figures, the size of a typical new terraced house has shrunk from more than 1,000 sq ft in the 1920s, to 645 sq ft now.

Architects have also highlighted the lack of storage space in new homes, and poor daylight.

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23770320

I think this is an example where you can actually point to something actual, rather than just a newspaper op.ed. and say "Yes this country really is going to the dogs".

And they won't people to commit to buying a 650 sq ft 'house'.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I got a second mortgage on that house. Boy, that was a mistake. When I was falling behind, one of the jerkasses at Associates told me to get a cup and beg for the money. So I handled that the calm, Ed Anger way.

By showing up in person and telling him to repeat that to my face. He got much nicer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 07:09:35 PM

I got a second mortgage on that house. Boy, that was a mistake. When I was falling behind, one of the jerkasses at Associates told me to get a cup and beg for the money. So I handled that the calm, Ed Anger way.

By showing up in person and telling him to repeat that to my face. He got much nicer.

:cool:

Yeah there's something to be said for 'in their face' diplomacy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"