‘Red coat girl’ in ‘Schindler’s List’ was traumatized by role in Holocaust film

Started by garbon, March 04, 2013, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/red-coat-girl-schindlers-list-spielberg-165731326.html

QuoteOliwia Dabrowska, the Polish actress better known as the girl in the red coat in Steven Spielberg's otherwise monochromatic Holocaust film "Schindler's List," says she was so traumatized when she first saw it at age 11 that she kept her role a secret for years.

Dabrowska—who was 3 when "Schindler's List" was released in 1993—admitted she had broken a promise to Spielberg to wait until she was 18 to watch the film, which depicted horrors such as SS officers shooting women and children. The 193-minute epic, starring Liam Neeson as Nazi industrialist Oskar Schindler, left Dabrowska equal parts upset and confused, as people assumed that even at her age she was something of a Holocaust expert.

"I was ashamed of being in the movie and really angry with my mother and father when they told anyone about my part," Dabrowska told The Times of London in an article marking the 20th anniversary of the film. "I kept it secret for a long, long time, though at high school people got to know [about it from] the Internet." People, she added, would say to her, "'You must know so much about the Holocaust.' I was frustrated by it all."

She added that viewing it at 11 was "too horrible. I could not understand much, but I was sure that I didn't want to watch ever again in my life."

But Dabrowska, now 23, said she watched it again when she turned 18, and her feelings about the film changed. "I realized I had been part of something I could be proud of," she said. "Spielberg was right: I had to grow up into the film."

The headline seems a bit...inaccurate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2013, 04:14:51 PM
The headline seems a bit...inaccurate.

'11 year old gets scared by Schindler's List but understands it at 18'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney