A 320 gigapixel panorama of London. The largest ever taken.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 03, 2013, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on March 03, 2013, 05:56:17 PM
Question for Languishistas who have never been to London, is this anything like what you imagined the city to look like?

Most movies shot in London don't give you the sense of soul-sapping overcast this does.

If I had to live in that weather year-round I would start complaining about everything and my teeth would start growing in various directions.

I would probably pick up the hobby of binge drinkiing as well.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on March 03, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
I think I've found my old flat at 127 Harley Street, Top Floor Flat!  :cool:

Looks like the landlords replaced some windows in the last 20 years, though.  :lol:

Man, that was a great place to live.  Given the number of times I looked out my living room window and saw the BT tower, it's kinda funny to be looking in the opposite direction.

How many tiddlers did you pay in rent?

mongers

Quote from: sbr on March 03, 2013, 08:56:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 03, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
I think I've found my old flat at 127 Harley Street, Top Floor Flat!  :cool:

Looks like the landlords replaced some windows in the last 20 years, though.  :lol:

Man, that was a great place to live.  Given the number of times I looked out my living room window and saw the BT tower, it's kinda funny to be looking in the opposite direction.

How many tiddlers did you pay in rent?

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Ok what is up with the church with the beavers on it?  I would expect sacred beavers in Canada not London.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Weatherman

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2013, 09:53:03 PM
Ok what is up with the church with the beavers on it?  I would expect sacred beavers in Canada not London.

Maybe it's a church for Canadian expats?

Valmy

Question for Languishistas who have never been to London, is this anything like what you imagined the city to look like?

I guess I expected it to look less soulless and more distinctive.  Central Paris this ain't.  But that's ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2013, 09:56:04 PM

I guess I expected it to look less soulless and more distinctive.  Central Paris this ain't.  But that's ok.

Neither is it Central London, but I guess also what you describe is London's lack of a central 'theme' like Paris or the Skyline/buildings of Manhattan; London is more a lot of little towns, sometimes villages within those towns, thrown together with a couple of small cities.  :bowler:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2013, 08:07:11 PM

Most movies shot in London don't give you the sense of soul-sapping overcast this does.

If I had to live in that weather year-round I would start complaining about everything and my teeth would start growing in various directions.

You know what makes it worse?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Check out the sunrise and sunset times for December.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2013, 10:20:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2013, 08:07:11 PM

You know what makes it worse?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=12&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Check out the sunrise and sunset times for December.

Pftt, we live through those days and now we seem to be getting an extra minute or two each evening, so come June it'll only seem like we have a six hour night.  :)

Helps to give the year a mild, but pleasing rhythm.  :bowler:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

I can see my old flat in Battersea  :cool:

I had no idea there was a line of sight to the Post Office tower, it must have been lost in the general murk.

Grey Fox

I've been to London & you do forget how uncentralized it is without looking at it from above like that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Warspite

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 04, 2013, 08:28:55 AM
I can see my old flat in Battersea  :cool:

I had no idea there was a line of sight to the Post Office tower, it must have been lost in the general murk.

I always thought it was interesting how you could roughly work out someone's generation by what they called the tower - Post Office, Telecom or BT.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 03, 2013, 10:02:15 PM
Neither is it Central London, but I guess also what you describe is London's lack of a central 'theme' like Paris or the Skyline/buildings of Manhattan; London is more a lot of little towns, sometimes villages within those towns, thrown together with a couple of small cities.  :bowler:

Now that you draw my attention to this phenomenon I do see some very cool neighborhoods in there.  I guess I had this image that all London looked sort of like this:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.