I'd pay to use Jaron
3 (11.5%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2013, 07:52:38 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2013, 12:48:09 AM
Cheating on taxes is my God-given right as an American.

Typical Southern Conservative. :rolleyes:

Typical Whiny Raz. :rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on February 28, 2013, 12:44:34 AM
The European Union and customs make sure that I pay VAT no matter where I order something.No self declaration necessary.

If > 22 euros when ordering from outside the EU, in theory.  :smarty:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2013, 08:42:28 PM
I've noticed a few hotties working Canadian customs.

Even odder than that is how freakin' young some of them are.  "Are you girls doing this as a junior high project?"

If you are coming through in the summer it would be pretty close.  The border guard hires summer students as young as first year university.

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on February 28, 2013, 07:21:06 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2013, 01:01:27 AM

God's gonna claim plausible deniability on that one.
That's because he also cheats on his taxes.

If there's one organization on earth with more arbitrary power and inscrutable workings than God, it's the IRS.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2013, 02:36:36 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 28, 2013, 07:21:06 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2013, 01:01:27 AM

God's gonna claim plausible deniability on that one.
That's because he also cheats on his taxes.

If there's one organization on earth with more arbitrary power and inscrutable workings than God, it's the IRS.

Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to simply not believe in the IRS ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

You may not believe in Them, but they believe in you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

I always pay my taxes as honestly as I can.  Fear is keeping the local systems in line, fear of the taxman.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2013, 05:31:48 PM
I always pay my taxes as honestly as I can.  Fear is keeping the local systems in line, fear of the taxman.

Doesn't really speak to the use tax though. Until this thread, I had no idea such a thing existed and I've hardly kept track of my purchase made in state let alone out of state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2013, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2013, 05:31:48 PM

Doesn't really speak to the use tax though. Until this thread, I had no idea such a thing existed and I've hardly kept track of my purchase made in state let alone out of state.

QuoteNew York State and local sales taxes are imposed on taxable property and services purchased or delivered to you in New York State. In most instances, when you purchase a taxable item or service in the state, or if it is delivered to you in the state, the seller will collect sales tax from you. The seller then pays the tax over to the Tax Department.

Use tax is a tax imposed on taxable items or services used in New York when the sales tax has not been paid. If a sales tax has not been collected by the seller on a taxable sale, or when taxable items or services are used in New York and the New York sales tax has not been collected, you must report and pay tax directly to the Tax Department. This bulletin discusses the circumstances when a resident of New York State would be required to pay tax on these sales and uses. There is a distinction between sales tax that should have been paid and use tax. However, for purposes of simplicity, the tax required to be paid is referred to in this bulletin as use tax.

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on February 27, 2013, 06:53:16 PM
It's called a "use tax" in South Carolina, anyway.  Other states and countries may differ on the terminology, and some jurisdictions do not require them at all, but the general idea is that physical shit you buy from out of jurisdiction through Amazon or similar, to be used in your jurisdiction, should be reported on your tax return and your refund debited to the amount your jurisdiction sets.  It's essentially a sales tax that you haven't paid but your government is legally due.

Corporations are required to perceive sales taxes, if they have a physical place in Canada (for the federal tax) or in Quebec for federal and provincial tax.  Buying from Amazon.ca, even if the product is shipped from the US, I have to pay GST only because they are located in Ontario.  If I buy from EA, I have to pay both taxes.

If I order from Amazon.com, technically, above 20$, I should ask the seller to declare the value on the package, and I would have to pay custom fees + federal tax.  But it only applies at custom/postal office, there's no place to declare this on my tax form.  Not that I would declare them anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Amazon sent me a letter courtesy of the state of Tennessee telling me to pay the state their crazy 10% sales tax on some shit I ordered while I was living in Knoxville.  I did.   :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)