And we're back!

Main Menu

Gawker's Unemployment Stories

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 26, 2013, 10:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's the word, thanks Meri.

PDH & Meri are Gen Xers.

If you were born after 1959, you are not a Boomer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 26, 2013, 10:20:38 PM
It's like America doesn't have any trade person. Plumbing & Electricity has anyone heard of those things? There's good money in them.

I have heard of them.

I'm getting back in school in Plumbing/Heating, starting next week.  :nelson:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on February 27, 2013, 11:06:50 AM
It's like America doesn't have any trade person. Plumbing & Electricity has anyone heard of those things? There's good money in them.

I have heard of them.

I'm getting back on school chair in Plumbing/Heating, starting next week.  :nelson:

:) You don't live in the US too.

Whenever I lose this job, I'm gonna go something like that too.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 11:09:49 AM

No, we live in poor-ass, every-hipster-wants-free-university Quebec. Even that when I come out of school I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.  :lmfao:

Beware, though. Usually admission happens once per year, and there were a lot of applicants when I passed  the admission test. I was told 1 in 3 are picked, on average.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 11:09:49 AM
Quote from: Drakken on February 27, 2013, 11:06:50 AM

I have heard of them.

I'm getting back on school chair in Plumbing/Heating, starting next week.  :nelson:

Why wait?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

& we're getting old too!

I believe in Free University & I am not an hipster!

@BB It's not something that is given in night classes* & I rather not quit my job. I like having an house for me, my gf & my kids.

or rather, that I could find.

Malthus

Boom-bust cycles in employment are a natural feature of the market - as people going into law school these days are discovering. What worries me more is that lately it's mostly about the bust part. What's booming? Try to anticipate that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 11:15:48 AM
& we're getting old too!

I don't.

In fact much of the problem is that university is too accessible and overvalued, compared for the white collar demands of the market. And like many, I fell for the "education is a priority" bullshit.

Drakken

@BB It's not something that is given in night classes* & I rather not quit my job. I like having an house for me, my gf & my kids.

GF is right, BB. Here in Quebec going to what the US call "trades' school" is basically returning to high school, classes five times a week from Monday to Friday,7AM to 3PM.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2013, 11:18:15 AM
Boom-bust cycles in employment are a natural feature of the market - as people going into law school these days are discovering. What worries me more is that lately it's mostly about the bust part. What's booming? Try to anticipate that.

Seems like nursing and hospital administration will continue to boom for some time - or at least be a stable place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 11:22:12 AM
Seems like nursing and hospital administration will continue to boom for some time - or at least be a stable place.
There will inevitably be serious cost pressure on the whole health sector though.

Neil

No, you're a mooch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2013, 11:31:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 11:22:12 AM
There will inevitably be serious cost pressure on the whole health sector though.

Definitely true and why I also sliding to stable as the boom will probably come off as you say with inevitable cost pressures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on February 27, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

GF is right, BB. Here in Quebec going to what the US call "trades' school" is basically returning to high school, classes five times a week from Monday to Friday,7AM to 3PM.

But he said "whenever I lose my job", not "if I lose my job".  Sounds like he expects to lose it.  So why not be proactive?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

This isn't the 70s. At some point, shareholder value will be more important & the corporate overlords of California will sell us out.