Can't afford life-saving surgery? Go to jail to have it done!

Started by Syt, February 26, 2013, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 01, 2013, 11:12:40 AM
Quote from: Strix on March 01, 2013, 09:24:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: Strix on March 01, 2013, 09:10:49 AM
When I worked in NC, they had lay-offs in the Department of Corrections because the organization wasn't prepared for "Meth Mouth". Meth heads were getting free dental work (mainly bridges and whole dentures) and it caused the dental budget to increase from a small amount to an astronomical expenditure. Prisoners would refuse parole until their false teeth were finished.

If only we had a non-prison system where meth addicts could get their teeth fixed for free!

It is odd that people want Universal Health Care but that seldom includes Dental or Vision which most people value above a lot of other medical problems.

I can have a tooth pulled for $250, and get a pair of glasses for the same price, appointment included.

To diagnose an ulcer, it cost me $7500. Not treat, mind you, but to diagnose. To treat it cost me another $150.

See the difference?

Yeah I'm seeing you make poor comparisons. Now mind you still not on the same level but one crown can set you back a couple grand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I might try out Walmart's $38 deal for a pair of glasses, for shits & gigs.  I wear contacts pretty much exclusively and only throw on my glasses if I have to get up at night for something, so little risk if they turn out ugly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 11:19:06 AM

Yeah I'm seeing you make poor comparisons. Now mind you still not on the same level but one crown can set you back a couple grand.

Not if you pull it. That's my point. You have less expensive options for dental and vision. They may not be preferred, but there are still ways to go about it that won't bankrupt you. That is not the case for medical.

There was no cheaper way to determine if I had an ulcer. There is no cheaper way to set a bone or treat bronchitis.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 01, 2013, 11:36:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 11:19:06 AM

Not if you pull it. That's my point. You have less expensive options for dental and vision. They may not be preferred, but there are still ways to go about it that won't bankrupt you. That is not the case for medical.

There was no cheaper way to determine if I had an ulcer. There is no cheaper way to set a bone or treat bronchitis.

Ah I see what you're getting at. Though on that front, you could always just "survive" with your ulcer (a la Mono) and just have your bones heal as they will.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Bluebook

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on March 01, 2013, 11:12:40 AM
I can have a tooth pulled for $250, and get a pair of glasses for the same price, appointment included.

To diagnose an ulcer, it cost me $7500. Not treat, mind you, but to diagnose. To treat it cost me another $150.

See the difference?

Somebody has to pay for that MRI machine.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 11:30:10 AM
I might try out Walmart's $38 deal for a pair of glasses, for shits & gigs.  I wear contacts pretty much exclusively and only throw on my glasses if I have to get up at night for something, so little risk if they turn out ugly.

For the love of god, don't go to Wally World for eye stuff. Please.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 01, 2013, 12:29:04 PM

Have you done it?

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Ah I see what you're getting at. Though on that front, you could always just "survive" with your ulcer (a la Mono) and just have your bones heal as they will.

Again, you're missing my point.

A sore tooth hurts. An ulcer hurts. A broken bone hurts.

You can fix the tooth for a couple of hundred dollars so it doesn't hurt anymore. You cannot do that for an ulcer (which first has to be diagnosed so that you even know that it's an ulcer and not cancer) or a broken bone. So while yes, you could live with it, the point is that in order to live pain-free you have to spend a considerable amount more money for medical work than you do for dental.

Which is why people aren't harping about free dental or vision care. One can get by without. One cannot, really, get by without medical without going bankrupt, living in pain, or dying.

merithyn

:unsure:

Why not? The kids have all gone there for years, and we've always had great experiences.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 12:31:16 PM

Have you done it?

My mom did some years back. Tried to tell her not to. The glasses prescribed were waaaaay off. I think they had a retard on duty that day. I wanted to shank the eye doc.

Got her to go to a real eye wizard, got her a rightous prescription.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 01, 2013, 12:35:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 12:31:16 PM

Have you done it?

My mom did some years back. Tried to tell her not to. The glasses prescribed were waaaaay off. I think they had a retard on duty that day. I wanted to shank the eye doc.

Got her to go to a real eye wizard, got her a rightous prescription.

I'm getting my prescription from my regular eye doc :contract:

Ed Anger