Trends of foreign-origin words in your mother tongue

Started by Martinus, February 22, 2013, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

This is not another thread about words in your language that come from another language, but an attempt to see trends, e.g. groups of words or words associated with some form of human activity originating from another language. Is this recognizable in your language too?

In Polish, these are the most common foreign language influences, with the main "areas of expertise":

- English - all kinds of modern words from different areas, ranging from science, technology, popular culture and politics;
- Arabic - science, warfare and anything to do with Islam;
- French - fashion, warfare, food;
- German - law, construction, industry, crafts, politics, administration, city planning;
- Hebraic - religion, mysticism, food;
- Greek - science;
- Hungarian - warfare;
- Italian - food, music, art;
- Latin - law, administration, religion, science; and
- Turkish - warfare.

Viking

Icelandic purged foreign origin words a century ago (basically the one we don't find in the sagas). Concepts that lack words have icelandic words invented for them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Are there rules for the invented words? Do they have to rely on older words? Morphology is the word I'm looking for, I think.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on February 22, 2013, 06:39:16 AM
Icelandic purged foreign origin words a century ago (basically the one we don't find in the sagas). Concepts that lack words have icelandic words invented for them.
Always struck me as curious that.
How did they get rural farmers to agree that the thing they had formerly always known as X was now Y and X was a forbidden foreign word?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

When I visit my dad, and watch Russian TV channels, I'm surprised by how many English words are used in Russian language, lifted straight out.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  This has to be a fairly recent phenomenon with a lot of them.

Liep

I love the russification of English. Айфон, бойфренд, бёздей.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2013, 07:42:06 AM
How did they get rural farmers to agree that the thing they had formerly always known as X was now Y and X was a forbidden foreign word?

Well there are only about 400,000 speakers right?  So there probably were not that many rural farmers they needed to get onboard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on February 22, 2013, 08:02:56 AM
I love the russification of English. Айфон, бойфренд, бёздей.

Do you mean the Englishification or Russian?  Granted we probably have thousands of Russian words in English, we have thousands of every other language's words.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Two new Polish words are "tweetować" and "lajkować".

Any guesses what they mean? :P

DGuller

Tech word borrowing I can understand.  The technology originated in the English-speaking country after all.  Words like "boyfriend", on the other hand, have already existed in the Russian language, so in those cases it just looks like an inferior culture borrowing from a superior culture.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2013, 08:30:32 AM
Tech word borrowing I can understand.  The technology originated in the English-speaking country after all.  Words like "boyfriend", on the other hand, have already existed in the Russian language, so in those cases it just looks like an inferior culture borrowing from a superior culture.

True. I heard words like "to kiss" have also been borrowed in Russian (e.g. "kissovat") which sounds very weird.

Could it be that Russia is so illiberal/obscurantist that young people develop their own slang, to be able to talk freely? Sorta like polari in anti-gay Britain.

Viking

We had a language council. They operated on the principle that if the word was in the sagas it was genuine. Icelandic nationalism was centered on the language, so our nationalist leaders were either linguists or well versed in the subject.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2013, 08:23:49 AM

Well there are only about 400,000 speakers right?  So there probably were not that many rural farmers they needed to get onboard.

but much fewer in the 1890s

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2013, 08:30:32 AM

Well that is sorta what is happening.  English borrows from other languages so often that it's often not not known that a new word is borrowed or from where.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2013, 09:34:38 AM
English borrows from other languages so often that it's often not not known that a new word is borrowed or from where.

English roughs up other languages to see if they have any spare words.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.