Taint Please - Playstation 4 Announced.

Started by mongers, February 20, 2013, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

Destructoid had a look at the tech demos of the PS1-3 vs. actual release day games vs. PC games of the time_

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-4-launch-vs-reality-don-t-believe-the-hype-246023.phtml
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/21/new-ps4-a-pc-rps-declares-victory/

QuoteNew PS4 A PC: RPS DECLARES VICTORY

At Sony's interminable live conference revealing the PS4, it was announced that it's built on an x86 CPU, includes an "enhanced PC GPU", along with a local hard drive (although no mention of SSD). And it comes with 8GB of GDDR5 memory. Also announced are other features that have that nagging sense of familiarity, including live streaming of games, and the ability to stream yourself playing games. It's a PC!

So, we say welcome Sony! Glad you've decided to join us.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

In that case haven't consoles always been PCs?  PCs with common un-upgradable hardware and software, but how much difference was there in the actual workings of the console hardware and PC hardware?

Syt

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 01:30:50 AM
In that case haven't consoles always been PCs?  PCs with common un-upgradable hardware and software, but how much difference was there in the actual workings of the console hardware and PC hardware?

I'm not an expert, but it seems that the PS3 at least had a CPU developed by Sony, and a GPU co-developed by Sony and nVidia.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Reading the article and doing some research: I am even less excited than I was before.
It seems their main selling point is a "Social" button on the controller. :bleeding:
That all sounds rather terrible. I hate the modern trend to try and shoehorn social media everywhere.

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 01:30:50 AM
They've been slowly moving that way but I think there traditionally has been a clear practical distinction at the least with consoles being plug in a game and play affairs,
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 09:58:44 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2013, 09:44:57 PM
Nintendo 64

:rolleyes:
Not a proper part of the generation.

Now now, don't go & say stupid shit like that. It's gonna get you killed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe PS4 looks like it's long on promises and big-picture dreaming, but currently short on clear, concrete reasons why anyone would be tempted to buy one.

So, it's just a continuation of more of the same mindthink from Sony since before the PS3.  I really don't know where their leadership wants to go with these things anymore;  first, it wanted to develop the PS3 as the "centerpiece" of a consumer's multimedia life;  now, it just looks like they want to make it a centerpiece of a consumer's social media life as well.

Looks to me that Sony gaming is about everything else except gaming these days.   Hard to maintain brand loyalty with these kinds of decisions.

sbr

I thought EVERYONE who gamed did so while twittering and facebooking and sharing screenshots of.their lastest farmville plots.

EDIT. I supposed not everyone, there are probably still a few who chat via im while headshoting each other in cod46.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 08:33:45 PM
Of course, this has been talked about for months now, yet sony are still announcing it like its a big shock announcement.

WTF? No Sony just did the same thing that happens with lots of tech devices where they had an event to show it off to the press.  Only "shocking" here is you getting huffy about a press event.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Syt

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-purchases-will-not-carry-over-to-playstation-4-246229.phtml

QuoteIn news that is sure to encourage grimacing and facepalming, Sony has confirmed purchases made on the PlayStation Network will not carry over from PS3 to PS4. Same goes for your game saves, too. For Christ's sake, Sony ... you just couldn't resist gunning for some bad PR.

Shuhei Yoshida told a roundtable (including our own Dale North) the PS4's innards are too different from the PS3, and the company is trying to avoid draining the system's power with emulation. Although plans are being looked into to get PS3 games playable in some form on the system, it appears anything you do right now on the PS3 will remain bound there.

Expect PS3 games to be available for streaming on the system at some point in time. Whether we'll be paying for the privilege or not remains to be seen.

So ... great. Just great. Guess it was asking too much to get through the week without something like this.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

I've never really understood the obsession with backwards compatibility.  Your PS3 doesnt stop working the day you buy the PS4 and it's not like they're so big storing 2 of them should be that much of an issue and I would rather they spent the time and power on new shit, instead of making old shit work on the new platform.

I suppose some people might sell one to buy the other but that is a them problem, not a Sony problem.

lustindarkness

I will squeeze them both in my cabinet somehow.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom