Penny pinching: Can Obama kill the one-cent coin?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 20, 2013, 12:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on February 20, 2013, 12:10:41 PM
Yeah, the basic argument against the dollar coin is that coins are not worth worrying about...?

Huh?

Coins are a lot easier to lose. Though I guess that's a good thing for homeless people with metal detectors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Personally I'd love more widespread use of dollar coins.

The biggest barrier to adoption of the metric system, IMO, would be having to convert thousands and thousands of preexisting measurements. That'd be quite a project. I suppose it could also be a business opportunity for an enterprising group of people though...
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 12:46:11 PM

The biggest barrier to adoption of the metric system, IMO, would be having to convert thousands and thousands of preexisting measurements. That'd be quite a project. I suppose it could also be a business opportunity for an enterprising group of people though...

30 years out and Canada is still mixed on our use of metric.  I couldn't tell you how high I am or what I weight in metric, for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on February 20, 2013, 12:47:52 PM
30 years out and Canada is still mixed on our use of metric.  I couldn't tell you how high I am or what I weight in metric, for example.

Can you tell me how high you are in grams of weed?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 20, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

I thought drugs were sold by the kilogram.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 12:09:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2013, 12:04:09 PM
I actually don't like change at all. I generally collect it in jars at home (well previously I used to just throw it on the ground -_-). That's actually why I oppose this as it'd make me more inclined to view the dollar coins as useless. Always have to remind myself they are not when traveling abroad (especially given that they are usually worth more than 1 USD).

You are complaining about having useful coins because it would upset your worldview that coins are useless?  :hmm:

It won't take long, if you have coins worth $1 and $2 USD, to get used to the notion that some coins have value (and utility!)

I'm saying that as it currently stands, coin in general seem not useful and a pain to carry. You're right that it'd change my point of view that coins could be useful but it wouldn't make them easier to carry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 20, 2013, 12:10:41 PM
Yeah, the basic argument against the dollar coin is that coins are not worth worrying about...?

Huh?

No pretty sure up until the post he quoted - I was pretty clear on the fact that it is annoying to carry around coins vs. paper.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 12:09:12 PM
You are complaining about having useful coins because it would upset your worldview that coins are useless?  :hmm:

It won't take long, if you have coins worth $1 and $2 USD, to get used to the notion that some coins have value (and utility!)

I'm with garbon on this. It isn't that I have a worldview that coins are useless, it is that coins are more awkward to carry. I rarely use cash, but I carry a bit with me for tips and the few places that don't take cards. I don't carry change, and if I get some at a lunch counter or somewhere I just give it as a tip.

I have a very small card case where I keep a license, a few credit cards, and a $20 bill or two. It is much easier to carry that (and do away with a billfold/wallet completely) when you don't have nonstandard sized coins to worry about--a couple pieces of foldable paper are lighter and more convenient.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 12:46:11 PM

Me too.  I think they're cool.

QuoteThe biggest barrier to adoption of the metric system, IMO, would be having to convert thousands and thousands of preexisting measurements. That'd be quite a project. I suppose it could also be a business opportunity for an enterprising group of people though...

That would take more than an entire generation to accomplish.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2013, 01:16:14 PM
That would take more than an entire generation to accomplish.

Exactly...there are consultancies waiting to be born there. An enterprising general contractor could probably make quite a bit of money in that niche market, like software companies who focus on older systems for the inevitable conversion to more modern systems.

Of course, the other thing that might take generations to accomplish is GETTING AMERICANS TO ACTUALLY SWITCH TO A SYSTEM WHICH MAKES SENSE FOR FUCK'S SAKE

CountDeMoney

It doesn't make sense, and it's where it belongs:  with filthy Europeans and Canadians.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2013, 01:26:01 PM
It doesn't make sense, and it's where it belongs:  with filthy Europeans and Canadians.

Oh, come on...who doesn't want a 17.78 cm dick?

dps

Personally, I'm more likely to have coins on me than paper money.  I might needs coins for a soft drink vending machine or the like.  (Sure, most of those have dollar bill changers nowdays, but getting the bills to actually feed into them is a pain in the butt more often than not.)

fhdz

I can't remember the last time I used a vending machine.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on February 20, 2013, 01:28:42 PM
Personally, I'm more likely to have coins on me than paper money.  I might needs coins for a soft drink vending machine or the like.  (Sure, most of those have dollar bill changers nowdays, but getting the bills to actually feed into them is a pain in the butt more often than not.)

Those machines are more likely than not going to take credit cards in the future.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014